Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe we need a sub-category for folks who died or started forest fires with gender reveal party explosions. This isn't the first of these: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/n...p_id=972910391

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
      Maybe we need a sub-category for folks who died or started forest fires with gender reveal party explosions. This isn't the first of these: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/n...p_id=972910391
      The stupidity is amazing...

Comment

• Are these gender-reveal parties just another excuse to ask people to give you presents?!
        Weren't social media invented expressly for relating this sort of nonsense to your 'friends' ?!
        Last edited by Atticus; 02-23-2021, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• Might be my age showing here, but why do people feel the need to advertise their every thought or deed for others? Where is their sense of proportion? Maybe, just maybe, they did not receive enough hugs as children..........

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
            Maybe we need a sub-category for folks who died or started forest fires with gender reveal party explosions. This isn't the first of these: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/n...p_id=972910391
            Not a true Darwin candidate. His DNA lives on in the womb of his pregnant girlfriend.

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinR View Post
              they did not receive enough hugs as children
              Or waaay too many!

Comment

• When did this pre-birth gender determination start? I was content not knowing the sex of my children (FMF) before their birth in the 50s and delighted with what we got.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                  When did this pre-birth gender determination start? I was content not knowing the sex of my children (FMF) before their birth in the 50s and delighted with what we got.
                  As was I but the answer to the question was a Loooooong time ago.....Maybe 30-35 years?

Comment

When did this pre-birth gender determination start? I was content not knowing the sex of my children (FMF) before their birth in the 50s and delighted with what we got.
                    Around the 1970s, when the ultrasound technology for it became widely available.

Comment

• from a quick google (aka, it's always earlier than you think):

<<In 1962, David Robinson, George Kossoff, George Radovanovich, and Dr William Garrett were the first in the world to identify a number of foetal anatomical structures from high frequency sound wave imaging.[31][32]>>

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                        from a quick google (aka, it's always earlier than you think):

<<In 1962, David Robinson, George Kossoff, George Radovanovich, and Dr William Garrett were the first in the world to identify a number of foetal anatomical structures from high frequency sound wave imaging.[31][32]>>
                        Too late for me... I don't think I wanted to know.. not like we needed to redecorate the nursery.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                          from a quick google (aka, it's always earlier than you think):
                          Early versions of the technology existed in the late 1950s, but it didn't become commonplace in hospitals and doctors' offices until the 1970s.

Comment

Too late for me... I don't think I wanted to know.. not like we needed to redecorate the nursery.
                            My own kids (90's) and my BIL/SIL kids (80's) both had us not learn the sex of the unborn by choice. We could have.

Gender reveal parties are definitely relatively new. 6 or 7 years ago my wife said "Nikki is having a gender reveal party on Saturday" in letting me know what my plans were for a particular weekend. My comment, once I realized what she was talking about was "you've got to be shittin' me?". It seems to be part of the overly self centered nature of two or three generations behind me or....maybe it is just another beg for gifts.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Around the 1970s, when the ultrasound technology for it became widely available.
                              Here in the UK there was a time when many hospitals had a policy of refusing to reveal the gender to parents. I think they would make an exception if there was a possible genetic condition that would only affect a boy or a girl. My sister's children were born in 1995 and the local hospital didn't reveal the gender to expectant parents. Apparently this policy was largely the result of concerns that certain ethnic groups had a strong bias in favour of boys. This changed shortly after as a colleague knew she was having a boy in 1999.

Comment

• I recall that "old wives" claimed they could predict the gender by whether the baby was carried "high or "low". whatever that means, nor do I know how accurate they were.

Comment

Working...
                                X