3. USC
      4. Oklahoma
      5. Oregon
      6. Georgia
      7. Florida State
      8. Michigan
      9. South Carolina
      10. Arkansas

Tonight, Michigan State hosts Boise State, and tomorrow Michigan and Alabama will square off in Dallas, while Notre Dame returns to the motherland to take on Navy's Midshipmen in Dublin.

Speaking Fighting Irish, Allen Pinkett has been suspended from Irish radio for lamenting how tough it is to compete college football with student-athletes who are also good citizens.

"I've always felt like to have a successful team you've got to have a few bad citizens on the team," Pinkett said on WSCR-AM (670). "That's how Ohio State used to win all the time. They would have two or three guys that were criminals, and that just adds to the chemistry of the team. I think Notre Dame is growing because maybe they have some guys that are doing something worthy of a suspension, which creates edge on the football team.

"You can't have a football team full of choirboys. You get your butt kicked if you've got a team full of choirboys, so you've got to have a little bit of edge. But the coach has to be the dictator and the ultimate ruler. Here's my opinion: You don't hand out suspensions unless you know you've got somebody behind that guy that can make plays."

Given a chance to back off his comments, Pinkett kept going.

"I absolutely meant that," Pinkett told the radio station. "The chemistry is so important on a football team. You have to have a couple of bad guys that sort of teeter on that edge to add to the flavor of the guys that are going to always do right because that just adds to the chemistry of the football team. You have to have ... you look at the teams that have won in the past, they have always had a couple of criminals."
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... son-opener

Re: 2012 College Football

Originally posted by Allen Pinkett
    Here's my opinion: You don't hand out suspensions unless you know you've got somebody behind that guy that can make plays."
    Absolute choirboy morality of Allen Pinkett.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

This is basically the same thing Michael Irvin and Melvin Bratton said last year about the dilemma with their beloved Miami Hurricanes - "like a country club", need "one or two more thugs".

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2 ... the-u.html

During Randy Shannon's reign at Miami, he got Miami to the #1 ranking in APR (academic progress rate) among AQ-conference schools, and there was only one player arrest during his tenure (compared to 29 for Urban Meyer at Florida during the same period), and he got fired for not winning enough.

Comment

Of course, the real moral is to have guys who have nothing else going for them but playing college football. That keeps them focused...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
          Of course, the real moral is to have guys who have nothing else going for them but playing college football. That keeps them focused...
          This reminds me of the cool reception that Rhodes Scholar Myron Rolle got from NFL scouts when he interviewed at the NFL Combine after a year at Oxford.

Most NFL coaches and executives would be ecstatic if Myron Rolle was their son or their daughter’s date.

Drafting him is another matter.

Welcome to proof of the NFL adage: You want players to be smart, just not too smart. Rolle is an example of a gifted, driven, accomplished young man. He’s a guy who could survive and thrive without playing mankind’s version of demolition derby.

Rolle is a man with options and that makes NFL types, some of whom would be teaching P.E. in high school if not for the pro game, very uneasy.

“We’ll have to find out how committed he is,” an NFC assistant coach said, echoing the sentiment of five other NFL types leading up to this weekend’s scouting combine. “Committed” is a euphemism for desire, care, passion and whatever other combination of emotions goes into wanting to play football enough to make it a career. . . . .

“I hear all the negative things that he has too many things going on in his life,” Shaw said. “But if [the NFL] is saying that Myron Rolle is a bad example, that’s a joke. … Myron is what you want all these kids to be. Every one of these kids should want to be Myron Rolle.

“The reason I say he’s going to be a 10-year veteran is he’s a guy who is going to out-work everybody. He’s not just going to rest on his athletic ability.”

Truly, everyone should strive to be like Rolle, a Rhodes Scholar and safety from Florida State who hopes to one day become a neurosurgeon and has already started a foundation to promote physical fitness.

That said, Shaw knows from personal experience that some NFL coaches are looking for men with a little more moral flexibility. He saw that first hand when he worked for the New Orleans Saints and Mike Ditka was the head coach.

“Mike Ditka wanted a serial killer,” Shaw said, splicing humorous overstatement with a deadpan delivery. “He didn’t want a guy who had other things going on. When he was asking questions, he wanted to know what you were going to do. If your mother was sick, were you going to miss a game?
          http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=j ... olle022510

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
            This reminds me of the cool reception that Rhodes Scholar Myron Rolle got from NFL scouts when he interviewed at the NFL Combine after a year at Oxford.
            There were also some articles about this when the Dallas Cowboys drafted Morris Claiborne at the most recent draft. Now Morris Claiborne scored particularly low at that standardized test they use there, which could have easily hurt his draft chances; but the articles also talked about how a particularly high score in that test can hurt a player's chances.

Comment

Just finished watching yesterday's wrap-up. Teams that are scary good:

Bama
              SC
              Oregon
              Okla St

They were talking up Ore's DeAnthony Thomas's speed, saying he could be one of the world's fastest over 100. Hmmm. The commentator also said that if Neon Deion had only been a sprinter, he would have won an Oly Gold. I could sorta see him beating Christie's 9.96 in 92 (Sanders would have been 25yo).

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow

Bama
                SC
                Oregon
                Okla St

They were talking up Ore's DeAnthony Thomas's speed, saying he could be one of the world's fastest over 100. Hmmm. The commentator also said that if Neon Deion had only been a sprinter, he would have won an Oly Gold. I could sorta see him beating Christie's 9.96 in 92 (Sanders would have been 25yo).
                Watching the Oregon game, I had the sound off, so I missed that lunacy. But the Ducks do look awesome. 7 possessions, 7TDS and only 1:32 per possession. Fast, fast fast... 50-3 and it was only half way through the 2nd quarter! Then the starters rested, otherwise it could have easily been over 100 points.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow

Bama
                  SC
                  Oregon
                  Okla St

FYI, Deion's PR is 10.26 from 1988 while he was at Florida State.

Comment

Watching the Oregon game, I had the sound off, so I missed that lunacy. But the Ducks do look awesome. 7 possessions, 7TDS and only 1:32 per possession. Fast, fast fast... 50-3 and it was only half way through the 2nd quarter! Then the starters rested, otherwise it could have easily been over 100 points.
                    Don't be too impressed with teams like Oregon and Oklahoma State who can drop basketball scores on weaker opponents. LSU and Alabama can't play basketball on grass, and can only dream of scoring 80 points no matter how weak their opponents are but they would have no problem handling the likes of Oregon and Oklahoma State.

Comment

Instead of 'FYI', I'd've used 'FWIW', which, in this context, means little, except that he was enormously 'talented'. We talk about genetic freaks in sports and Deion was one. Like Bo and now perhaps DeAnthony. He (DT) moves like a water bug on amphetamines.

Comment

That seems pretty good, given how many different sports he participated in.

Comment

LSU and Alabama can't play basketball on grass, and can only dream of scoring 80 points no matter how weak their opponents are but they would have no problem handling the likes of Oregon and Oklahoma State.
                          Yes, they would have a 'problem'. Bama would eventually win by 2 TDs, but LSU isn't at that level this year.

Comment

Don't be too impressed with teams like Oregon and Oklahoma State who can drop basketball scores on weaker opponents. LSU and Alabama can't play basketball on grass, and can only dream of scoring 80 points no matter how weak their opponents are but they would have no problem handling the likes of Oregon and Oklahoma State.
                            Of course, the season is early. And we will see.....

Comment

I don't know how good Okla St is but when your first team retires after the first quarter leading 35-0, second team makes it 52-0 at the half, third team 77-0 at third quarter, fourth team mops up 84-0 (or whatever it was) even as they played slow down to get it over with without scoring anymore than unavoidable. I think the announcer said OSU time of possession for first ten touchdowns was about ten minutes with longest drive requiring 1:43. Ya gotta think OSU in is not completely inept.
                              This embarassment was a desperation game to fill an open date after the Big 12 schedule went to hell..OSU reportedly paid Savannah State $385,000 to play because they could not find a more competitive team with an open date willing to come to Stillwater and risk taking a whupping.

Comment

Working...
                              X