Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

    http://www.businessinsider.com/an-eveni ... z25loMMHME

    check the vid where ultra-nerd carlsen talks about life as a chess player.

    magnus carlsen, i think is probably mentally tougher than any track athlete, or any athlete for that matter. you are talking about going two hours+ full out concentration several days in a row.

  • #2
    Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

    magnus storms new york.

    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8458

    and

    How 21-Year-Old World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen Became Such A Badass

    http://www.businessinsider.com/magnu...#ixzz25neMFwjy

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

      60 Minutes had a very good piece on him in the last year or so.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

        I didn't know that the well known economist Kenneth Rogoff was a grandmaster once.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

          The world #1 (with the highest ranking ever) is closing in on the FIDE World Chess Championship at age 22. With 4 games remaining Carlsen holds a commanding 5-3 lead (6.5 points needed to win the 12 game match).

          http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/cr...pion.html?_r=0

          Few consider chess a "sport," yet Sports Illustrated still chose to preview the championships.
          http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...9057/index.htm

          .

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

            I don't follow chess, but I played in a lot of scholastic tournaments while in grade school.

            Earlier this fall, I attended a session of the Sinquefield Cup since it was in town (St. Louis is apparently a chess hotbed these days). It was exciting to be in the playing hall with some of the world's best including the world #1 and potentially soon World Champion. I also checked out the live Grandmaster commentary (which was neat, but far over my head). My wife tagged along (we didn't stay for the entire session) and couldn't believe that we went there just to see 4 guys sitting at two tables doing basically nothing. In fact when we got into the playing hall, one or two of the players was up from the table pacing at the other end of the room, so she thought one of the guys was just sitting by himself!

            Chess is a lot like running in that (almost) anyone can play, but at the highest levels, it really is a totally different game/sport. I agree that the mental toughness these chess guys have probably rivals that of any athlete.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

              Originally posted by wamego relays champ
              ….
              Few consider chess a "sport," yet Sports Illustrated still chose to preview the championships.
              http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...9057/index.htm

              .
              Those of an age will recall that in its early years (and for many years thereafter), SI had a weekly bridge column by Charles Goren.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

                How about Dick Schaap's relationship with Bobby Fischer? Schaap was a sports writer.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

                  Originally posted by JumboElliott
                  How about Dick Schaap's relationship with Bobby Fischer? Schaap was a sports writer.
                  But Fischer turned badly on Schaap in later years. Bio of Fischer couple years ago detailed this nicely.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

                    There's certainly no denying that some sports journalists cover games that are not really sports, and SI, in particular, casts a wide net sometimes. (We are all big fans of the sport of sun-bathing in exotic locales, aren't we?)

                    What I found interesting was almost a complete lack of U.S. coverage of the Chess World Championships. Even though there is no American involved, I find the rise of the young, photogenic Carlsen to the highest rating ever to be a very compelling story. Maybe it's because despite his youth, many people probably figured he was already the World Champ.
                    .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

                      Originally posted by wamego relays champ
                      There's certainly no denying that some sports journalists cover games that are not really sports, and SI, in particular, casts a wide net sometimes. (We are all big fans of the sport of sun-bathing in exotic locales, aren't we?)

                      What I found interesting was almost a complete lack of U.S. coverage of the Chess World Championships. Even though there is no American involved, I find the rise of the young, photogenic Carlsen to the highest rating ever to be a very compelling story. Maybe it's because despite his youth, many people probably figured he was already the World Champ.
                      .
                      This has had some coverage in the US - there was the SI story. Most coverage for this since the Fischer-Spassky match in 1973.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

                        Norway's sports journalists have named Carlsen the Norwegian Athlete of the Year.

                        http://www.aipsmedia.com/index.php?page ... 12665&tp=n

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

                          Originally posted by tandfman
                          Norway's sports journalists have named Carlsen the Norwegian Athlete of the Year.
                          I'm at a complete loss on how Chess is a sport. Is there something about moving the pieces that I'm missing?! :shock:

                          At least in darts, bowling and billiards, there is a requirement to be physically 'gifted'.
                          SI covers poker also, but do they consider themselves to be athletes? I hope not.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

                            Chess is certainly a competitive intellectual exercise. Me, I can't stand seeing poker hyped as a sport...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

                              A better argument could be waged that video-gamers are athletes; at least they have to have SOME reflexes.

                              Chess can be played completely hand-free with voice-automated moves on a computer. Stephen Hawking can ALL our butts, I'm sure.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X