Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

Originally posted by tandfman
    Norway's sports journalists have named Carlsen the Norwegian Athlete of the Year.

http://www.aipsmedia.com/index.php?page ... 12665&tp=n
    Straying a bit from Carlsen and whether chess is a sport, I had to chuckle at one item on the A.I.P.S. listing of Athletes of the Year by Country.

The U.S. member organization (the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association) named as one of its U.S. Athletes of the Year, hockey's Sidney Crosby who, of course, is Canadian.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
      Norway's sports journalists have named Carlsen the Norwegian Athlete of the Year.

http://www.aipsmedia.com/index.php?page ... 12665&tp=n
      I'm not sure about Chess as sport either but for Norwegians Carlsen becoming world Chess champ was such an incredible thing. I understand that chess-sets were extremely popular X-mas presents in the country this year.
      Not only does Norway have the top chess player in the world but also the #2 female golfer in the world, Suzanne Pettersen.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
        This has had some coverage in the US - there was the SI story. Most coverage for this since the Fischer-Spassky match in 1973.
        I thought the next few WC matches were pretty big stories worldwide as well. The Fischer-Karpov showdown that didn't happen, the highly politically charged Karpov-Korchnoy matches with presumed KGB hypnotizers in the audience, then the endless Kasparov-Karpov final. Are you saying none of these generated significant publicity in the US?
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
          This has had some coverage in the US - there was the SI story. Most coverage for this since the Fischer-Spassky match in 1973.
          I thought the next few WC matches were pretty big stories worldwide as well. The Fischer-Karpov showdown that didn't happen, the highly politically charged Karpov-Korchnoy matches with presumed KGB hypnotizers in the audience, then the endless Kasparov-Karpov final. Are you saying none of these generated significant publicity in the US?
          Some, but I would hardly label it "significant."
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Over here, it's the other way around. I'm too young to remember the earlier WC matches, but Karpov-Kasparov was talked about A LOT in the media. I'm not sure Carlsen winning the title got even 1% of the air time and print space that those two got at the time.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
              Had some, but once Fischer was out of the picture nothing like what he generated. And he generated it not just because he was American, but partly because he was possibly the greatest player ever, and had been so dominant in the lead-up to the Spassky match (winning 20 straight games against grandmasters), and partly because he was such a nutcase. Unfortunately that only got worse as he got older.

Comment

Working...
              X