• Show
Clear All

• 10 public colleges with insanely luxurious dorms

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Media/Sli ... px?index=1

Re: 10 public colleges with insanely luxurious dorms

They missed this one. http://www.housing.wisc.edu/dejope

Comment

My freshman room (with roommate) at The Farm (1969, but the dorm is still there, virtually unchanged) was smaller than the smallest bedroom in my house now (typical 4 BR/2.5 BA home) . . . yet, at the time, no problem . . . :? We shan't even get into some of the military billeting I survived (and that was BOQ stuff!) :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        My freshman room (with roommate) at The Farm (1969, but the dorm is still there, virtually unchanged) was smaller than the smallest bedroom in my house now (typical 4 BR/2.5 BA home) . . . yet, at the time, no problem . . . :
        Same with me. I spent so little time there. Except for sleeping and a place to change to go running. What studying I did freshman year was usually in the library.

Comment

...not mentioned in the article, but GA State has the 1996 Atlanta Olympics to thank for their "insanely luxurious dorms". The dorms were athletes housing during the Olympics 16 years ago.

Comment

Some of what seems to be passed along as "luxuries" seems to be economic sense.

Wi-fi, AC and climate-control are long-term cost reductions in new dormitories

Comment

These kids and their campuses...

The 21st Cen college has to have facilities that resemble health clubs, hotels, and condos. An Electrician relative is booked for the year(s) at a local school where he says they are constantly remodeling.

Just did the move-back weekend three weeks ago...not a pleasant experience getting to the mountains and a dorm that didn't resemble the ^ above.

Comment

Are private dorms common around the country? The ones here are pretty dang plush and put the public dorms to shame...maid service, fitness instructors, pools, theater rooms, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by preston
                  ...not mentioned in the article, but GA State has the 1996 Atlanta Olympics to thank for their "insanely luxurious dorms". The dorms were athletes housing during the Olympics 16 years ago.
                  I think the Olympic dorms were at GA Tech, a few miles north of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
                    Originally posted by preston
                    I think the Olympic dorms were at GA Tech, a few miles north of these.
                    Your answer is both correct and incorrect.

The dorms were initially the property of GA State even though the dorms were on North Avenue (GA Tech's campus) and GA State is downtown. The GA Regents in 2007 transferred the property to GA Tech from GA State, which has been building dorms closer to their downtown campus. The transfer was going to roll (tech initially occupying 2 buildings in 2007 and then two more in the subsequent years) and all of the GA State students should be out of the dorms by now unless there has been some delays.

Comment

For what it is worth, Montclair State is largely a school for comuters. The new dorms are the exception to the rule.

Comment

Upon reading the student newspaper today, I learned we're on a different top-10 list: the most expensive room & board (ranked 7th):

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-co ... -and-board

Comment

Working...
                        X