Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

greatest movie ever... how about Vertigo?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greatest movie ever... how about Vertigo?

we've had other threads on great movies, but this one is such a radical departure (it's truly global, not Hollywood-centric like most other musings on the topic) I figured it could get its own thread.

British Film Institute poll. After many-many years, Vertigo finally passes Citizen Kane:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/50-greatest-films-all-time

All kinds of "foreign" films in there that I'll readily admit to not even being aware of the existence thereof.

But how can I take any poll seriously which puts Mullholland Drive in the No. 28 position?

Re: greatest movie ever... how about Vertigo?

Originally posted by gh
    But how can I take any poll seriously which puts Mullholland Drive in the No. 28 position?
    Zackly, plus it's easily argued that Vertigo isn't even Hitchcock's best.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      Originally posted by gh
      I liked it the best of all Hitchcock's. Also the best of all Jimmy Stewart's.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
        Originally posted by Marlow
        Originally posted by gh
        I liked it the best of all Hitchcock's. Also the best of all Jimmy Stewart's.
        Despite its schlockiness, Psycho is the best (IMO) H movie ever. There are so many clever directorial and editing elements, it exceeds even Vertigo's virtuosity (which is indeed immense).

Comment

I saw Vertigo at a Hitchcock retrospective at National Film Theatre the other night

What a load of crap. Totally unconvincing in every way, ridiculous script, ridiculous dialogue, awful over acting but worst of all it was REALLY boring. I didn't care about any of the characters, or the plot which is pretty important in enjoying a film

I was gobsmacked that this was considered a competent piece of film making never mind the best of all time !! :shock:

Kim Novak looked great though
          i deserve extra credit

Comment

I'm always amazed at the high rating that Vertigo gets. I saw it, and was not very impressed. Kind of boring. Maybe I'm missing some deeper elements. I know that the first time that I saw Citizen Kane, I thought it was kind of boring and wondered what the big deal was. Then I saw it with people who studied it in film class. They were pointing out all of the subtle elements that I totally missed the first time.

Of the top 50, I've seen about 25 which isn't bad. I tried to watch a few more on the list, but couldn't get through them.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
              Of the top 50, I've seen about 25 which isn't bad.
              Never seen 3, 4, or 5. :shock: (or 20 others)

Comment

This list is for art buffs. I remember in college seeing many of these older movies and having to listen to intellectual babble about how great they were. If your into the esoteria of these buffs this may be only one of many lists. Metaphor and symbolism pervade these movies and the buffs look for them so they can dissect them and argue intellectual twaddle about them. Hey I'm not biased am I??? I used to have a roomate who would drive me crazy with "symbolism/metaphor" talk about movies and books. It left me cold.

The one thing that struck me about many of these movies is that they are an intellectual artists view ABOUT the world and not about THE world. They are not natural or in some cases they are too natural (endless talk, endless panning of scenes without dialog, people doing every day boring things ad nauseam.) Once you see a movie it hits you subjectively and that's different for everybody. I've seen movies that really hit me where I live at the time and not the next viewing, because I wasn't in that spot anymore. Many movies I saw when I was young seemed way more sophistictaed and deep than they do now. If I still think it's good decades later it goes to my "best" list.

Comment

In all seriousness, great stuff jeremyp... that may be the best bit of analysis of film analysis I've ever read.

Comment

I have seen a few of these "great" films, most in original releases in the 1930s-40s in glorious black and white. I was certainly no film critic and do not remember my assessment at the time.

When I see old movies now I am struck by the crude graphics, over acting, stilted/corny dialogue and wonder what is so great about them.

My now 44 year old youngest daughter was a big fan of old movies as a teenager and twenty-something but has come share my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                      This list is for art buffs.
                      Of course it is, and that's just fine. And people who care about the "art" of anything--music, architecture, fashion, whatever--tend to have a different view of these subjects from casual consumers. Which is exactly why those lists are worth looking at in the first place.

Comment

Don't forget MGM's motto: ars gratia artis (art for art's sake).

But Mullholland Drive?! If they wanna do something weird by David Lynch why didn't they just stick to the old standby, Eraserhead?! :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          Don't forget MGM's motto: ars gratia artis (art for art's sake).
                          Communist politruks used to seethe over this concept. This was bourgeois decadence.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                            Metaphor and symbolism pervade these movies and the buffs look for them so they can dissect them and argue intellectual twaddle about them.
                            Couldn't agree more, but we all have to remember that films (and art in general) like these are FOR intellectuals (one of the few terms I know that has very positive and very negative connotations) and each one represents A perspective that may or may not be shared with very many other people. As with all art, it is what you behold it to be, nothing more, nothing less.

Originally posted by Pego
                            Communist politruks used to seethe over this concept. This was bourgeois decadence.
                            And to rephrase Socrates: A life without art is not worth living.

Comment

I'm always amazed at the high rating that Vertigo gets.
                              Bernard Hermann score is pretty dominant and if you really like it you probably really like the film.
                              It's hard to pick against The Godfather which is almost perfection as I see it (fan of ethnic criminal stuff or not). I didn't see Wizard of Oz on the list. Not too shabby either.

I think the first adult film I paid to see was Lawrence of Arabia which was a good standard to set.

Comment

Working...
                              X