Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packers - Seahawks TD call

OK, let me start the Apocalypse and say they got the call RIGHT, even though it's clearly an interception. It's all due to the 'Replacement Refs' hysteria, no fault of their own. Follow my logic.

1. In real time, both Tate and Jennings go up and come down with the ball. Call on the field: dual possession - goes to the receiver - Touchdown. Given the real-time speed of the play, it was indeed a viable call to make - sure looked like they both came down with it (why that's in error will be revealed in replay, but that's the call on the field).
    2. Now Replay must overrule the call on the field (NOT determine what the call SHOULD have been, an important distinction). In replay we see that Tate first commits interference by pushing a defender down as the ball is arriving, but that's irrelevant in THIS call. Secondly, we see that Tate only has one hand on the ball and Jennings has two. Tate doesn't have full possession when Jenning's knee hit the ground (ending the play), BUT - and here's the kicker - he DOES have one hand ON the ball, so, in fact, the refs can't overrule the call because a catch CAN be one-handed. Therefore, even though the call on the field SHOULD have been 'interception', which also would have been upheld in replay, you can NOT overrule the call that was made on the field.
    3. The RepRef issue is a red herring. 5 out of 10 REAL refs would have made the same call because in real-time, it happens so fast you can't tell that Tate really doesn't deserve the call: dual possession.

So, the call is 'wrong', but was 'correct' as called.

P.S. I didn't even see the game, but watched multiple video reports on the intrawebs.

Re: Packers - Seahawks TD call

They certainly missed the obvious offensive pass interference call.

On the bright side the Packers lost---sorry about that Pego---and if this doesn't spark getting the real refs back, I don't know what will.

Comment

This was the worst officiated game in my memory :evil: .
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

There were a few wrong pass interference calls througout the game, including the one on the Packers scoring drive. So it doesn't make sense blaming the Packers loss on the one ref call on the last play.

And Marlow is right in making the distinction between call on the field and review. And yes, the call on the field could've been the same with regular refs, because it was a close call, and close calls on the field can go either way.

Comment

First rule of defending a last second pass to the end zone: knock the ball down.

Why was the Packer even trying to catch the ball? He could have just swatted it into the third row behind the end zone. Note, I did not watch the second half of the game, so I only saw the play on internet replays.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
            Originally posted by mcgato
            He could have just swatted it into the third row behind the end zone.
            This was my first thought too.
            Last year the Jags won a game at the very end because the DB swatted the pass down - right into the arms of the lone Jag there (Mike Thomas). Touchdown! We win.
            Unless you KNOW you can get the ball out of bounds, catch it yourself.

Comment

I thought for sure when I saw it it was an interception. It may have been. But to me the replays were inconclusive as to whether Tate had one arm or two arms on the ball as they hit the ground. I did not see any replays shown that had proof of where the other arm was so I have to believe he somehow got it in there. How else would he have had the strength to take the ball away? With one hand? I don't think so. So maybe the call on the field by the one ref was correct (tie goes to the offense). Replays could not overturn conclusively.

As has been mentioned, missed calls affected the game as well and a very bad pass interference call that kept a Packers drive going that ultimately led to a touchdown.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the real refs come back. Everyone is blaming every controversial call on these guys when the NFL has plenty of controversial calls with the other guys as well. With all the hype I think the media is making it worse. Yes there are some bad calls, and maybe too many calls, but I think the expectations are going to be too high now for when the real guys get back.

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
                With all the hype I think the media is making it worse.
                Yes, commentary by espn analysts and some others was completely one-sided.

Comment

But to me the replays were inconclusive as to whether Tate had one arm or two arms on the ball as they hit the ground.
                  It probably was an interception, but that's not the relevant standard to overturn a call. So yeah, I also thought the replays did not provide sufficient evidence to overturn it.

Comment

Originally posted by j-a-m
                    But to me the replays were inconclusive as to whether Tate had one arm or two arms on the ball as they hit the ground.
                    It probably was an interception, but that's not the relevant standard to overturn a call. So yeah, I also thought the replays did not provide sufficient evidence to overturn it.
                    It wasnt overturned because it cant be overturned.

The rulebook also states when a simultaneous catch is ruled, you can't review who made the catch. You can only review if it was complete or incomplete.
                    phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                      The rulebook also states when a simultaneous catch is ruled, you can't review who made the catch. You can only review if it was complete or incomplete.
                      NFL released a statement including the following:
                      The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

Comment

NFL statement also supports the decision not to overturn the call on review; pass interference, on the other hand, should've been called on Tate, but that part's not reviewable.

Comment

The local talk show host I am listening to is just dumbfounded at the amount of national attention this is getting, especially from politicians.

Many of my Facebook friends are still bitter about the bad call that cost us the Super Bowl, and figure this is karma swinging the other way.

Comment

I don't think Tate established any level of dual possession. The Packers player had the ball against his body and Tate stuck one hand in there. By rule that is not possession nor is it dual possession. Whether Tate was able to subsequently wrestle the ball away from the Packers player means absolutely nothing since once the Packers player is down the play is over.

The NFL is trying to hide behind the "not enough visual evidence" angle which I obviously disagree with.

I do agree that he media is feuling a little more hysteria than warranted and the league needs to be wary of this leading to some level of violence from either participants (towards the referees) or crowds (against anyone including themselves).

Comment

Originally posted by Dutra5
                              I don't think Tate established any level of dual possession. The Packers player had the ball against his body and Tate stuck one hand in there. By rule that is not possession nor is it dual possession.
                              Yes, but in the speed and heat of the moment it DID look like dual possession, because Tate had both arms on it as they wrestled on the ground, a mere fraction after they hit, therefore it could not be overturned on review.

Comment

Working...
                              X