X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bambam
    replied
    Re: Hurricane Sandy/Frankenstorm/superstorm

I'm gonna bet its not as bad as they're predicting for 2 reasons. 1) that's normally the case - the ones that are terrible and do huge damages are often surprises, and 2) the storm is supposed to go right through New York, the center of the media universe, so they will beat the story to death.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by DrJay
    The news cycle has shortened so drastically, the race to be first and to sensationalize to capture readers/viewers become so intense, that the media fast-forward through things that haven't even occurred yet. the logical end will be news coverage so accelerated/compressed that stories shrink and then disappear before they even appear. There will be no news.
    Jon Stewart often does a rant about it, especially in an election year. News services so desperately want to be the first to report something, that any little sniff they get, they run with. If they're later proven to be right, they crow about their superior coverage. If they're wrong, they just bury it under an avalanche of new speculations.
    Exhibit one for CNN was getting the ACA Supreme Court Decision wrong, for which they got widely panned.

Cable news is, for the most part, pretty useless. Which is one reason I never watch any of it.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied

I wonder if Italian meteorologists will predict landfall near Naples, to cover their asses? (See "Italian Courts Sure Are Tough" thread.)

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

Originally posted by DrJay
    The news cycle has shortened so drastically, the race to be first and to sensationalize to capture readers/viewers become so intense, that the media fast-forward through things that haven't even occurred yet. the logical end will be news coverage so accelerated/compressed that stories shrink and then disappear before they even appear. There will be no news.
    Jon Stewart often does a rant about it, especially in an election year. News services so desperately want to be the first to report something, that any little sniff they get, they run with. If they're later proven to be right, they crow about their superior coverage. If they're wrong, they just bury it under an avalanche of new speculations.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    started a topic Hurricane Sandy/Frankenstorm/superstorm

Hurricane Sandy/Frankenstorm/superstorm

Might as well open the thread, they'll be plenty to talk about. (I know there's a NYC Marathon weather thread elsewhere).

Looks to be pretty bad, events will play out, but some of the stories have me thinking about how reporting has changed in the digital age. From CNN:

"This storm will be studied for years to come, said Louis Uccellini, who is responsible for environmental prediction at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

CNN Weather estimates damage from Hurricane Sandy could reach $3.2 billion. This estimate is based only on wind damage and does not include flooding."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/27/us/tropic ... ?hpt=hp_t1

So, it looks like the coastal Carolinas are just now getting the very first drops of rain, yet CNN is talking about "studied for years to come" and talking economic damage $$ figures....aren't those things one usually writes about AFTER an event? The news cycle has shortened so drastically, the race to be first and to sensationalize to capture readers/viewers become so intense, that the media fast-forward through things that haven't even occurred yet. It's bizarre, like eating a meal so quickly you haven't even tasted the appetizer when the dessert hits your stomach, like some weird real-life variation of "Minority Report", or some Einsteinian distortion of space-time reality....."We're going to tell you all about this even though it hasn't happened yet." I can't quite put the feeling into words, but the logical end will be news coverage so accelerated/compressed that stories shrink and then disappear before they even appear. There will be no news.

That is all.
Working...
X