• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kuha
    replied
    Re: RIP: Dave Brubeck

[quote=bad hammy]
    Originally posted by "Per Andersen":o1fs7ly3
    Take 5 really turned me into a Jazz fan and Brubeck has been one my top 2 favorites ever since, along with Miles Davis.
    Brubeck was the gateway drug for a lot of folks who became jazz fans in his wake.[/quote1fs7ly3]

Exactly. The first step to Miles, Coltrane, and all those "classics" as well as toward an even more challenging realm: Ornette Coleman, Cecil Taylor, etc.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied

An interesting note is that Cordner Nelson and Dave Brubeck were friends (not best of friends) at the College of the Pacific in Stockton, California. Cordner was a couple of years ahead of Dave and I believe Cordner graduated from the college while Dave transferred and did not graduate from the College of the Pacific.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied

Originally posted by Per Andersen
    Take 5 really turned me into a Jazz fan and Brubeck has been one my top 2 favorites ever since, along with Miles Davis.
    Brubeck was the gateway drug for a lot of folks who became jazz fans in his wake.

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied

Take 5 really turned me into a Jazz fan and Brubeck has been one my top 2 favorites ever since, along with Miles Davis. I have been paying Time Out several times today. Unfortunately it's the only Brubeck CD album I own. Got lots of records but my turn-table has been shot for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• cladthin
    replied

I was able to meet Dave at a street festival in Winston-Salem-I believe it was 86 or 87. Very nice guy-I am not much of an autograph seeker but I did get his-now if I can only find it. Joe Morello (a few friends of mine were lucky enough to study under JM) also passed away March of 2011. Dave was an amazing musician and despite Desmond's wishes at that time, he invited Joe in (to play along bassist Eugene Wright) and featured him as a frequent soloist and later Paul and Joe were very good friends. Dave and the DBQ one of the very best groups.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied

I saw him at the Newport Jazz Festival in 1989. There aren't many from that era left, but luckily I got to see most of them.

Leave a comment:

• preston
    replied

Brubeck takes 5.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Too bad; he seemed pretty much timeless.

(It's astonishing to realize that another 1950s giant, Sonny Rollins, is still performing.)

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    started a topic RIP: Dave Brubeck

RIP: Dave Brubeck

One of the all-time greats with a sound all his own (well, and Paul Desmond's!)

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/art ... 093342.php
Working...
X