X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    Re: the annual geography quiz

22. Egypt is synonymous with pyramids, but its neighbor to the south actually has more of them. Which country?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

21. The South Pole is colder because it's 9,000 feet above sea level, thanks to very thick sheet ice. The North Pole sits on just a few feet of ice, and occasionally on open water.

sidebar that I'm sure has been posted before. What malady does "everybody" who goes to the South Pole get?

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

South

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

South Pole. Because it is at about 10,000 ft. elevation.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

21. Which is colder - the North Pole or the South Pole?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

<<20. The Crown Jewels are kept in the Tower of London.>>

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Aren't they in the Tower?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

20. If you wanted to pull a heist with the Crown Jewels, where specifically in London would you go to find them?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

<<19. The Red Crescent.>>

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by Conor Dary
    The Tsavo lions are part of the story. A couple of maneating lions that caused all sorts of havoc in 1898, and are now in the Field Museum in Chicago. Interesting movie about it too.

All in all, Lunatic Express seems rather apt.
    Is "maneating lions" redundant? Are there any lions that are not maneating, given the opportunity?
    As i understand the phenomenon (as w/ tigers), the big cats by nature aren't predisposed to go after human flesh, but once they do, it triggers a behavior change once they discover how easy old Mr. Sapiens is to run down and snack upon. (Hell, maybe we taste extra good too!)

Leave a comment:

• mcgato
    replied

I'll wait, but I remember the geography quiz questions of years past to be really interesting. The questions would fall into a few categories of "obscure question, but really interesting answer," "probing to see who understands the world that we are in," and goofy little things about the world that people should know.

I remember last year's really hard quiz that just went off the rails early. The first question was a Simon and Garfunkel song, then it went into totally obscure questions. Good trivia questions are hard to do. The really hard one from last year did not do it well.

That said, keep the questions coming.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Originally posted by mcgato
    Is it just me, or do these seem easier than in years past.
    You're confusing it with a different all-subjects quiz from the same paper that I serialize. It just appeared in the paper today. And looks like another ball-buster.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Originally posted by Conor Dary
    The Tsavo lions are part of the story. A couple of maneating lions that caused all sorts of havoc in 1898, and are now in the Field Museum in Chicago. Interesting movie about it too.

Is "maneating lions" redundant? Are there any lions that are not maneating, given the opportunity?

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied

Originally posted by mump boy
    Originally posted by Pego
    South Sudan?
    My friends dad is a minister in the govt of South Sudan and she invited me to the independence celebrations. For some reason which is unfathomable to me now, i didn't go :shock: but i'm certainly going for a visit one day
    I think we were both filming (Plus that Obama/Clooney promise wasn't exactly true :lol: )

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X