Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: the annual geography quiz

Originally posted by gm
    Saw this story and thought of you and your quest, lonewolf -- http://www.statesman.com/news/news/stat ... rth/nTff5/
    Thanks, gm.
    My courthouse odyssey started in Texas with Eastland County, famous for "Old Rip", a horned toad imprisoned in the cornerstone of the original courthouse, discovered still alive many years later ( I would have to look up the exact number)
    Also, Eastland is the oil field town where Conrad Hilton started his hotel chain.

I belong to a club whose members aspire to set foot in every county/parish/borough in the US but there is no requirement to photograph the courthouse. Several have completed the 3143 county bucket list.
    I have visited 3133, photographing more than 3500 new and old courthouses, lacking 10 in Alaska, but only three of those have courthouses.

Comment

42. What are the only two nations in South America that don't border Brazil?

Comment

Chile is one of them, I'm pretty sure. I'm not sure about the other one. Maybe Columbia?

Comment

Chile is correct.

Comment

I think it could be Ecuador.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

<<42. Ecuador and Chile.>>

Comment

I love this one!

<<43. The Pentagon, the world's largest office building, has twice as many restrooms as a structure its size needs. Why?>>

(If it had been the Senate building, of course, the answer would be because most of the inhabitants are full of shit!)

Comment

I think at one time they had bathrooms designated for "colored people" or whatever the appropriate term was at the time.

Comment

Separate for officers/enlisted men.....or military/civilian...?

Comment

<<43. At the time of the Pentagon's construction in 1941-42, segregation laws in Virginia, where it is located, required separate bathrooms for whites and blacks. Signs identifying them as such were never put up, probably because President Franklin Roosevelt had banned discrimination in the federal government.>>

Comment

44. The Italians call it Monte Cervino. What does almost everyone else call it?

Comment

I think it is the Matterhorn (not the one at Disneyland).

Comment

<<44. The Matterhorn. The peak straddles the border between Switzerland and Italy, but is not nearly as distinctive looking on the latter side.>>

Comment

45. The River Danube flows out of Germany's Black Forest and passes through or alongside 10 countries. What body of water does it empty into?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                                45. The River Danube flows out of Germany's Black Forest and passes through or alongside 10 countries. What body of water does it empty into?
                                The Black Sea.

And that's Dah-NOOB, Alex.

Comment

Working...
                                X