• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    Re: the annual geography quiz

<<2. It's free.>>

3. True or false: Brazil is the only country in the world named after a nut.

Leave a comment:

• AS
    replied

The ferry is free...

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Originally posted by Marlow
    The quiz was linked to my e-mail homepage, so I took it and only got HALF right!
    On the other hand, their answer to #23 is wrong and I knew the right answer, so I got that going for me!
    Can we ever have a quiz without your injecting a spoiler into it?

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied

Does anyone still travel to Staten Island?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

The quiz was linked to my e-mail homepage, so I took it and only got HALF right!
    On the other hand, their answer to #23 is wrong and I knew the right answer, so I got that going for me!

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

that would be incorrect

Leave a comment:

• Master Po
    replied

2. In 1974 a nickel would buy you a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. What does it cost now?

I have no idea, and so this is truly a guess, but that's in the spirit of this quiz (which by the way, I really enjoy -- thanks gh!). So...

...a nickel?

Leave a comment:

• ed gee
    replied

Your time and patience.

Originally posted by gh
    Answer as printed by the fishwrap; gh not responsible for content!

2. In 1974 a nickel would buy you a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. What does it cost now?

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied

Too easy. Next? I meant #1.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Answer as printed by the fishwrap; gh not responsible for content!

<<1. The Amazon was named for the female warriors of Greek mythology who supposedly had their right breasts removed to improve their archery or their javelin throwing, depending on the story. Historians note that the mastectomies were not part of the original legend and don't make much sense anatomically or athletically, either.>>

This one will be right up McGato's alley...

Leave a comment:

• mcgato
    replied

Amazon?

Woo hoo, I enjoy this every year. I also spend way too much time on the thread.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    started a topic the annual geography quiz

the annual geography quiz

the San Francisco Chronicle prints one every year, and you may recall that I throw the questions onto here, just for giggles.

Rules are simple: answer must come from your head, not from looking it up. And as soon as somebody gets the right answer, I post the next question. There are 50 of them.

Some are very easy (I'm talking about you, No. 1), but I'll put them up anyway.

As the paper says in its intro, "There are no prizes for acing the test—just the quiet satisfaction of knowing your grasp of geography is far better than that of those geniuses at Apple":

1. One of the world's major rivers was named for a group of women who were said to have undergone voluntary mastectomies. Which river?
Working...
X