Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "The 33rd Annual Xmas Quiz"

<<6. (a) A baron of beef is a joint of beef consisting of the two sirloins joined at the backbone; also called a double sirloin.

<<(b) The Vickers Viscount is the first turboprop airliner, first flown commercially in 1953. (

<<(d) The Marquess of Queensberry Rules are a code of generally accepted rules in the sport of boxing. They were named so because John Douglas, ninth Marquess of Queensberry, publicly endorsed the code, although they were written by a sportsman named John Graham Chambers in 1867.

<<(e) The "Duke of Earl" is a No. 1 record from 1962, by Gene Chandler originally but covered by many.>>

still waiting for The Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion (which was a cypher to me).

Comment

Re: &quot;The 33rd Annual Xmas Quiz&quot;

clue: I'll be shocked if anyone but an Englishman/woman gets that last bit.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        clue: I'll be shocked if anyone but an Englishman/woman gets that last bit.
        I grew up in England and have no clue.

Comment

A guess. A saddle for a horse? Or something equestrian....or something to do with girdles...

Who knows...

Comment

I'll guess it's a new wing added onto an older estate house. Or a type of folly? A tea house in London?

Comment

<<(c) The Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion is a small society of evangelical churches, founded in England in 1783 by Selina, Countess of Huntingdon. Today it has 21 congregations in England.>>

(that, of course, is not trivia, to my way of thinking: it's an incredibly obscure bit of knowledge, and there's a huge difference)

Comment

7. Who lived in Ayot St Lawrence? Hint and more questions: He won a Nobel Prize. What other unexpected honor did he win? The work he won that prize for inspired another cultural landmark. What was it?

Comment

Wild guess of James Joyce. No ideas of other clues, since Joyce may not be correct.

Comment

Joyce is not correct

Comment

I know it was GB Shaw, just not the other answers. I didn't listen that closely on the tour in high school

Comment

Shaw won an Oscar for Pygmalion.

Comment

Pygmalion inspired My Fair Lady
                          i deserve extra credit

Comment

<<7. George Bernard Shaw lived in Ayot St Lawrence, in England. (The lack of a period after the "St" is correct, by the way.) Shaw received not only the Nobel Prize for literature but also an Oscar, for writing the screenplay of his play "Pygmalion," upon which "My Fair Lady" was based.>>

Comment

8. California place names: What does "manteca" mean in Spanish? To what does Point Lobos refer? What does Malibu mean in Spanish?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                                8. California place names: What does "manteca" mean in Spanish? To what does Point Lobos refer? What does Malibu mean in Spanish?
                                Point Lobos, on the CA coast near Carmel, must refer to wolves.

Comment

Working...
                                X