X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcgato
    replied
    Re: "The 33rd Annual Xmas Quiz"

Hint on question 16: It is a number, give a guess.

Hint on question 17: part of the name of the location is the last name of a rather well known US distance coach.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied

I have no more details, but would guess the name is from a place in Europe probably very close to France, Spain, or Portugal.

Leave a comment:

• mcgato
    replied

Half time at the Rose Bowl, so I will update.

Question 16: Surya Namaskara is Sanskrit for Sun Salutation, according to wiki. So it is not an obscure person. I'm not one for yoga, so I have no further comment.

Question 17: DoubleRBar is on the right track, but we will probably need more details. And, no, County Mayo is not involved.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Originally posted by DoubleRBar
    Mayonnaise is a French name. So, I assume it came from the French, probably named after a place.
    But County Mayo is in Ireland. So maybe it was named by a French expat living in Ireland? Nah!

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied

Mayonnaise is a French name. So, I assume it came from the French, probably named after a place.

Leave a comment:

• mcgato
    replied

Since the yoga question isn't getting any takers, I'll ask it again plus the next question in line.

16. There are 12 mantras that accompany each Surya Namaskara. During each namaskara, how many yogic postures are assumed? Bonus question: What is the informal name for the assumption of these yogic postures?

17. How did mayonnaise get its name?

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

Originally posted by tandfman
    gh guessed that Anatole France was too obscure. I think he was right--nobody was likely to get that answer without looking it up. But at least some of us have heard of Anatole France. "Surya Namaskara"? What on earth is that? I'm not even going to bother looking it up. I don't think I want to know.
    I love Anatole France. The Revolt of Angels was one of the most influential books of my formative years.

Edited a typo.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Originally posted by gh
    Since I'm guessing it's too obscureā€¦

15. "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the street, and to steal bread." That was written by Anatole France, which was the pen name of Jacques Anatole Francois Thibault, who also wrote, "He flattered himself on being a man without any prejudices; and this pretension itself was a very Great prejudice."
    Christ sake so touchy. I am only agreeing with this earlier comment.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Then ignore them. Why piss on those who are having fun?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Then ignore them. Why piss on those who are having fun?

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Yes, these questions are getting into the completely obscure and rather poor for trivia.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

gh guessed that Anatole France was too obscure. I think he was right--nobody was likely to get that answer without looking it up. But at least some of us have heard of Anatole France. "Surya Namaskara"? What on earth is that? I'm not even going to bother looking it up. I don't think I want to know.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied

Does Pilates count?

Leave a comment:

• mcgato
    replied

Even though I don't like this quiz (was that last question a trivia question or just some obscure piece of information?), I'll throw the next one up.

16. There are 12 mantras that accompany each Surya Namaskara. During each namaskara, how many yogic postures are assumed? Bonus question: What is the informal name for the assumption of these yogic postures?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

McGato or anybody else who's feeling benevolent. Feel free to step in here and continue this one as well

Leave a comment:

Working...
X