Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: your 2nd favorite sport?

Originally posted by bambam
    Jazzy said track cycling also. For those who have not seen it much, track cycling is one of the world's great "unknown" sports. Watch it if you get a chance. Its amazing theatre, and tremendous athletes.
    About 20 years ago, I was in one of our local bike shops buying a few things for my road bike and chatting with the owner, when he recommended that I check out the district track cycling championships that was taking place that coming weekend. Though I knew Baton Rouge had a velodrome, I had never been to it, so out of curiousity, I decided to check it out, and the best way to describe my experinece is that it was like having an epiphany. A few days later I rode on a track bike at the velodrome for the first time and by the following year, I had my own track bike and was racing regularly.

Comment

Hmmm....jazz, the 7-Eleven velodrome is less than 200m from where I park my truck at work. I saw some international-calber races there two summers ago but have never been on a bike on the track. They have something of an all-comers night for the public every Tuesday in the warmer months. Maybe I'll give it a go this summer. I could use an epiphany.

Comment

ARE there other sports??
        Just kidding!!
        Okay, here's my list, with comment:

1 Track and Field (wins by a landslide!!)
        2. Baseball (though mainly for the stats!)
        3. NBA (again, mainly for the numbers!)
        4. College football (mainly for the DUCKS!!!)
        5. Swimming (mainly because the WR's are equivalent to some WR's in T&F--e.g. 50 free =200, 200 free=800, etc)

Comment

Oddly, perhaps, I've come to realize that I actually don't care for "sport" in general. I just don't pay any real attention to pro football, baseball, etc--which becomes embarassing in barber shops, the local pub, etc. I'll watch the Wimbledon final every now and then, but don't follow the individual athletes; ditto with some of the big golf matches. When we lived in England, I enjoyed the Henley regatta, but that was as much "event" as "sport" I guess. I do have a new interest in HS track & x-c--our local HS, that is. Other than that, the high-level sporting world could disappear entirely and my life would not be diminished at all. And, of course, I never believed any of the malarkey about top athletes being (or needing to be) "role models" etc. None of my greatest role models could dunk or (probably) break 6 minutes in the mile.

Comment

Baseball and Hockey. And NOT the NFL and NBA.

Comment

It's something that morphs. Start with a premise that nothing is as good (drugs, egos, labor/ money problems).
              I've been put off at times but have returned to some sports. The NBA would be the exception. Don't deal with it.

I would probably have to answer MLB only because it's so pervasive (here). You can't ignore it even if you are disgusted by much of what goes on around it.

Comment

MLB and NFL.

Comment

Participation: Table tennis (so much for being Chinese)
                  As a spectator: Boxing

Comment

This will probably get me booed, but I would probably say Soccer is my favorite sport with T&F and xcountry being a very close second. These 3 together will always be my favorites. I do like basically any competitive sport and I've developed quite an interest in the Tour de France even with all of the doping diversions. There's a lot going on and I really like all the competititions within the competition. Track has that appeal too.

Comment

1 T&F
                      2 College Football
                      3 Soccer

I've really gotten hooked on soccer (EPL & UEFA) since I get up early on the weekends and can watch games before anyone else wakes up. Unfortunately, the two teams I've chosen (Arsenal & Newcastle) are clusterfucks in two different frustrating ways.

NBC is taking over the EPL in the US next year so I'm sure the coverage will suffer compared to Fox Soccer Net.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown

I've really gotten hooked on soccer (EPL & UEFA) since I get up early on the weekends and can watch games before anyone else wakes up. Unfortunately, the two teams I've chosen (Arsenal & Newcastle) are clusterfucks in two different frustrating ways.

NBC is taking over the EPL in the US next year so I'm sure the coverage will suffer compared to Fox Soccer Net.
                        Yea, the Gunners really are missing Van Persie, who is having a wonderful season at United. And Newcastle has been a middling club ever since Shearer left.

I think NBC will be fine. I suspect they will use the same announcers, and unless they have commercial breaks, horrors!, during the game there isn't much damage they can do. And at least the games will be in HD which isn't true now on Fox.

Comment

College Basketball. When the conference season hits around midway all the way through the end of March Madness (in April of course) I find it actually can distract me from my normal almost singular focus on track and field.

Comment

To view in person, ice hockey and major league baseball, after T & F. To watch on the tube, speed skating, ice hockey and until I was about 30, boxing.
                            I also love attending rounds of the NCAA men's basketball tourney in different cities a couple buddies and I pick almost every year- because we meet fans from all over, and generally have no skin in the game.

Comment

#2 Soccer
                              #3 Tennis

Comment

As a distance runner, I can related to the solitude of a tennis player.

Unless playing doubles, they are all alone on the court without coaches or teammates. Even golfers can talk to their caddies. But tennis players have no one to rely on. And that's what I like about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X