Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

http://running.competitor.com/2013/04/n ... 5000_69019
    These varied competitions are aimed at helping Verzbicas realize his goals: competing in the triathlon and running either the 10,000 meters or the marathon at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016
    Has anyone ever competed in two different sports at the same OGs?

I'm still overwhelmed by his recovery.
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

Re: Verzbicas aiming for Two Olympic Sports in the same OGs?

Also in the news... Wilt Chamberlain goes for 25,000, even though he has been dead for a decade!

Comment

Echoing gh, I don't expect LV actually to do this ... at least if he's talking about competing for USA. Don't see him as one of our top 3 10km or marathoners, whether he is a triathlete or not. However -- as we often see in writing about athletes -- in the posted story, it isn't LV making that statement, at least not quoted directly; it's the writer's statement. Perhaps LV said that, perhaps not; and even if he did utter that statement, we wouldn't know how seriously he meant it. He would know what sort of unlikely scenario that would be.

More important -- I too am amazed by LV's recovery -- happy to see him coming back to health, training, & competition to the point that he can set a very high goal for himself. I hope he is able to be on the triathlon team for Rio.

And to wineturtle's question -- has anyone ever competed in two different sports in the same OG? My guess is that one would have to go far back into OG history. One "sort-of" example would be Thorpe, who in addition to all the T&F/athletics stuff he did in 1912, also competed in a couple of exhibition baseball games. But that of course wasn't participation in a medal sport. I am sure bambam knows the answer to this.

Comment

Johnny Weissmuller won gold medals in both swimming and water polo in the same Olympics, 1924 I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle
          Has anyone ever competed in two different sports at the same OGs?
          Someone posted this on Yahoo Answers

it has been done a couple times the first to do so was Aussie Duncan Page in 1964 competed in fencing & modern pentathlon

Peter Macken also of australia competed in fencing in 1968 & modern pentathlon in 1960/64/68/72/76

Comment

But given that fencing is part of the pentathlon, that's not really "different sports" (and so, in a sense, neither would Verzbicas be)

Comment

and from deep in the vaults, a Things Not Track thread in which we discussed 2-sporters.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44179

Comment

LV has as much chance of making the OT in the 10k or marathon, as Powell does in being successful at the 400 i.e. Nil....

Comment

Making the Trials or being successful? Clearly, someone with his age-18 success has a decent chance of making it to the Trials (better pre-injury, though).

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                    Making the Trials or being successful? Clearly, someone with his age-18 success has a decent chance of making it to the Trials (better pre-injury, though).
                    If he wasn't wasting his time with the triathlon I think he would have had an excellent chance to make the team someday and certainly making the Trials. But with all that swimming and cycling? Forget it.

Comment

Canadian Carol Montgomery competed in the 2000 Olympic triathlon and was also selected for the 10,000m. She crashed in the tri (broken arm maybe?) and was too injured to run the track race.

Comment

Olympic Triathlon Champ Alistair Brownlee has a road 10k pb of 29.15, it is not totally out of the bounds of possibility that he could qualify on the UK 10,000m team
                        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                          Olympic Triathlon Champ Alistair Brownlee has a road 10k pb of 29.15, it is not totally out of the bounds of possibility that he could qualify on the UK 10,000m team
                          Which is true, and says more about the state of UK distance running, other than One Guy Named Mo, than anything else.

Comment

Agreed, we only had 3 under 28 last year, worse than that only 5 under 29 !! which about average for the past few years

Of the 30 Uk men who have broken 28 mins only 5 have done so this century, there were 7 in the 70's
                            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                              He is aiming to run the 10,000m in the CWG next year

Comment

Working...
                              X