Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good hotel in NYC?

Thinking of taking my kids to NYC for vacation this summer. So I'm coming to the best source of intelligent and accurate information in the whole world, the TAFNEWS Message Board, to ask if anyone has a favorite hotel there, not the Ritz-Carlton but no cockroaches either.

Re: Good hotel in NYC?

which bank are you planning on robbing? :mrgreen:

Comment

If it's simply a very nice hotel, regardless of cost, you can find quite a few good options. If, like most folks, you want a good place at an affordable price, then good luck. In the past half dozen years, it is my impression that prices bounce up and down for no apparent reason. I used to stay at the same 2 or 3 places over and over in the old days, but no more: each visit requires a new search to find something in a right area at an acceptable price. The feedback numbers on the various websites (Expedia, etc.) are usually pretty reliable--but otherwise, I find that one has to reinvent the NYC hotel wheel with every visit.

Comment

Try The Leo House at 23rd and 8th. It's basically a hotel for visiting Catholic Nuns but is open to the public. Old, but clean, for about $ 100 a night. I've stayed there... it was fine. Not the Ritz by any means but to repeat it was clean and they were hospitable.

Comment

This one is fabulous, naturally!

http://www.themarkhotel.com/

However, that was when I wasn't paying. Last time I went on a personal trip I actually stayed in Secaucus (the Meadowlands at Harmon Meadow). The bus from right outside the hotels only took about 20 mins to get into Manhattan. Saved significant $$$.

Comment

If you don't need to impress anybody and just need a good room with all necessities I recommend Holiday Inn Express in Fort Lee which is on the other side of the George Washington Bridge. The same quality of room in Manhattan will be 3 to 4 times what you pay here.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
              This one is fabulous, naturally!

http://www.themarkhotel.com/

However, that was when I wasn't paying.
              My son just went out for middle school track. He's trying the HJ, among other events. We'll just get him up to 7'8" or so, skip NYC and go straight to Zurich, get someone else to pay for the rooms there.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                which bank are you planning on robbing? :mrgreen:
                Careful with words like that this week!

Comment

Last fall we stayed a couple of nights at The Jewel (http://www.thejewelny.com) and it was great for our purposes... very clean, very modern, very efficient and a great location directly adjacent to Rockefeller Center and as reasonable priced as any acceptable Manhattan hotel (you could book a room for two with a view tonight for $179 + all the myriad taxes.)
                  It's a high tech sort of place where check-in is very quick as you stand on the same side of the counter with the clerk to save space.
                  Possible negatives: Rooms are tiny although designed for max logistical efficiency and would be cramped for any group larger than a very compatible couple!!!

Comment

Of course, if money is no object . . . :

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/expensive- ... d=18996637

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki
                      If you don't need to impress anybody and just need a good room with all necessities I recommend Holiday Inn Express in Fort Lee which is on the other side of the George Washington Bridge. The same quality of room in Manhattan will be 3 to 4 times what you pay here.
                      A couple miles farther from the bridge in NJ is the much nicer Glenpointe Marriott (Teaneck, NJ) which has a bus stop with buses that are a short ride into the city.

Another option to the sky-high mid-town prices are the hotels at LaGuardia airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
                        A couple miles farther from the bridge in NJ is the much nicer Glenpointe Marriott (Teaneck, NJ) which has a bus stop with buses that are a short ride into the city.

Another option to the sky-high mid-town prices are the hotels at LaGuardia airport.
                        The (obvious) downside here is the time, trouble, and money it takes to get back & forth from a hotel in nowheresville to where you actually want to be. My first recommendation is to look at Expedia & the other sites to see what is available and decent in or near the actual areas you want to spend time.

Comment

In the last few years a couple of decent chains have opened spots in the Gowanus/Park Slope area of Brooklyn. If you're willing to stay away from the tourist-heavy areas of Midtown, but don't want to negotiate a bus ride from a place like Fort Lee, NJ, it may be worth exploring. You can be in places like Times Square, Herald Square, or near the big museums on the Upper West and East Sides with a 30-45 minute subway ride (even faster to downtown attractions), and the dining options are both better and less expensive than in the heavy tourist areas of Manhattan.

I'd stay away from hotels near LGA and JFK, as public transport is a hassle (especially from LGA). An outer borough vs. NJ is definitely preferred, however, since you'll likely be purchasing MetroCards to ride the subway, and they don't work on NJ transit options.

Here’s the Holiday Inn Express (located less than a block from a subway stop):
                          http://www.expressbrooklyn.com/

and a La Quinta two stops further out on the same train line:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... _York.html

It also may be worth exploring options on Air BnB, since many NYers leave the city during the summer.

Comment

How about this one?

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/pod-39--a ... 07385.html

Comment

Comfort Inn, 44th and 8th. A block from The Majestic Theater where Phantom is showing. I can't visit NYC and not stay in Manhattan.

Comment

Working...
                              X