Hampton 8th and 52nd or so
    Hilton 6th and 52nd
    Sheraton 52nd and 7th
    Wellington Hotel 55th and 7th
    Michelangelo Hotel 51st and 7th

Comment

Re: Good hotel in NYC?

Originally posted by DrJay
      Comfort Inn, 44th and 8th. A block from The Majestic Theater where Phantom is showing. I can't visit NYC and not stay in Manhattan.

Agreed. If you are visiting Manhattan, stay in Manhattan. Suck it up and pay a a bit more.

Comment

Here's the list of recs a friend's son, who lives Upper West Side, gave me:

Comfort Inn 44th and 8th
        Hampton 8th and 52nd or so
        Hilton 6th and 52nd
        Sheraton 52nd and 7th
        Wellington Hotel 55th and 7th
        Michelangelo Hotel 51st and 7th
        Some of those are major business hotels with fairly high rates. Others are not. I'd recommend using expedia.com and look at what's available at the economy brands of the major chains--Courtyard or Fairfield by Marriott, Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn by Hilton, Holiday Inn Express, Hyatt Place, etc. I'm not crazy about Comfort Inns, but the one on 44th Street in NYC may be a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          which bank are you planning on robbing? :mrgreen:
          Now, about that bank.....

Comment

I can now recommend the Comfort Inn on 44th between 8th and 9th. Relatively new, decent little breakfast (though the scrambled-eggs-microwaved-in-a-bag tasted pretty synthetic), good price (for Manhattan), great location at the edge of the theater district.

Comment

I can now recommend the Comfort Inn on 44th between 8th and 9th... good price (for Manhattan)...

what would that be?????

Comment

I can now recommend the Comfort Inn on 44th between 8th and 9th. Relatively new, decent little breakfast (though the scrambled-eggs-microwaved-in-a-bag tasted pretty synthetic), good price (for Manhattan), great location at the edge of the theater district.
                How did the family enjoy the trip?
                Tom Hyland:
                "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by uakari
                  I can now recommend the Comfort Inn on 44th between 8th and 9th... good price (for Manhattan)...
                  what would that be?????
                  Whevever that price was, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same price when you want to go. Hotel prices vary greatly with demand. A large convention at a nearby hotel will drive prices up; a slow tourist week will soften them.

Best bet if you're looking there (or elsewhere) is to check one of the travel sites (expedia.com, priceline.com, hotels.com. etc) and see what you can find. Sometimes the hotel's own site may have lower rates, especially if you're eligible for a group discount (like AAA) or are a senior citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                    Best bet if you're looking there (or elsewhere) is to check one of the travel sites (expedia.com, priceline.com, hotels.com. etc) and see what you can find. Sometimes the hotel's own site may have lower rates, especially if you're eligible for a group discount (like AAA) or are a senior citizen.
                    I once reserved a room through hotels.com only to find that the hotel never received my reservation. They were kind enough to find a room at another hotel for me, but my email to hotel.com customer service after the trip was never returned. I would never, ever use that site again. :evil:

Comment

A few years ago, one of my authors, who had appointments with publishers in/on Manhattan, made reservation through one of the hotel booking services. When she arrived, with confirmed reservation in hand, she was informed there was some mistake and the hotel had found alternate accomodations on eastern Long Island, just a 90 minute, $110 cab ride away.

Comment

I use Expedia and Priceline regularly. I've never had any problem with the hotel not honoring the reservation. If that's a concern, though, you can always call the hotel the day before your arrival (or the morning of your arrival) and re-confirm the res.

Comment

Originally posted by uakari

what would that be?????
                          $280/night including taxes (base price was something like about $254 a night, varied a little weeknight to weekend.)

Fun trip, the kids loved NYC. We also hit the Adirondacks for a couple of days, then Niagara Falls at the end and I'd never been there.

Comment

you know, my couch is available to any of you folks coming to town... i charge only $250/night (all taxes incl.)!

Comment

Working...
                            X