Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Ball jackpot is now worth winning

The current cash payout is $376,900,000. The winner will pay $149,200,046 in federal taxes leaving him with $227,699.954. Not bad. The odds of winning the big jackpot, playing one $2 ticket are 175.1 million to one. I have 10 tickets, so my odds are reduced to 17.5 million to one. What would you do with that much money?

Re: Power Ball jackpot is now worth winning

Back during the 80s oil boom in Oklahoma astronomical prices were paid for oil/gas leases. Farmers who had barely survived from year to year were suddenly multi-millionaires.. A classmate of mine, one of the few who stayed on the family farm(s) in SW Oklahoma, when asked what he was going to do with all that money, drawled, "Waalll, I reckon I'll just farm it up."
    I reckon I would just drill it up.

Comment

Driving back from an ortho meeting yesterday at Hilton Head I bought 2 Powerball tickets when I stopped for gas - what the hell, right?

I did not win. I'm very disappointed.

Comment

Winning ticket sold about 15mi from where I sit now. Unfortunately I did not visit that particular store this week.

Comment

My wife and LOVE to travel, and I particularly like seeing the world's ancient buildings/temples/works, so we would do a lot of traveling. That's the big thing we talk about.

I'd never mow grass or weed-eat again, my wife would never cook again (I don't mind cooking) and I'd probably own a number of classic and modern muscle cars.
          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

well, I also didn't win. Oops, I forgot to buy a ticket. Next time. In any case, were I to win a mega-jackpot, I would give most of it away, because the tiny bits of philanthropic-charitable donations I can make now are satisfying, and I have always wished I could do more in that area. As for what I kept for myself, I would travel as much as possible, starting with T&F-related and arts-related travel, which I have mostly been unable to do.

In the meantime, I will continue to travel, but mostly to work...

Comment

With the jackpot now at a record level, it is good to know how Powerball actually works:

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/how-...ll-works-37970

:-)

Comment

It would be much better to follow the Spanish lottery method where there are multiple winners. Limit It to $10 million maximum per person and have more winning numbers. 150 winners not one. Much more exciting and "democratic."

Comment

I'm with jeremyp. The problem with this idea however is that the lotteries make the best money when there is a feeding frenzy. If we win (my wife bought 5 tickets and we're in a community property state so she's stuck with me) the first thing I'll do is get a multi-year subscription to T&Fn. I told her though that we have a better chance of being hit by lighting twice while having sex standing up in a hammock. Semi-seriously, I saw a piece on the news claiming that 70% of all big lottery winners wind up broke.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
                    Semi-seriously, I saw a piece on the news claiming that 70% of all big lottery winners wind up broke.
                    I'll tell you what--gimme a winning Powerball ticket for tomorrow, and I'll take my chances about winding up broke. I think I'll somehow manage to end up with a positive net worth.

Comment

I guess it would be one way to find long lost relatives.

Comment

I saw a piece on the news claiming that 70% of all big lottery winners wind up broke.
                        How big is big?
                        I suspect that may be true of people who win $1 to 5 million but I would nt know how to blow Multi-Hundreds mill.

Comment

I don't recall what their definition of "big" was, but I suspect that it was at least above 3 million which I think is the minimum for the big jackpot prizes. Once in a work pool I won about $200 - it was a 1 /18th share from getting 5 of 6 numbers. That was when in New York you'd get 2 picks for a dollar and had to get 6 of I believe 49 or 50 numbers. Then they switched to one pick for a dollar and increased the numbers to 55. I guess they figured the odds weren't long enough. I used to play once in a while when I figured I still could enjoy taking it in 26 annual payments.

Getting back to your original question, the 70% figure includes a lot of "small" winners.

Comment

I used to play once in a while when I figured I still could enjoy taking it in 26 annual payments.
                            I think they raised the number of annual payments to 30 at one point, but I was under the impression that annual payments was still an option that Power/Mega/Lotto etc. winners could choose. I could be wrong about that--I haven't looked recently.

Comment

The odds of winning have been almost double to just under 1:300,000,000, which is why the pot has gotten so large. Super-large pots are 'free advertising' (sort of like the Donald Trump advertising). Even now the odds are not good enough to be a truly fair bet in terms of the net value of the money to almost any player.

Comment

Working...
                              X