Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WADA threatens to expel Jamaica -> Olympics -> drug testing

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) is reportedly threatening to suspend Jamaica from the upcoming Olympic Games in Brazil and other major competitions if the Government does not address failings in the local drug-testing programme.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=47408

(Jamaica Gleaner)

I find this weird after hearing about 30+ turks, 40+ indians and 50+ russians testing positive before the championships. But maybe the positives are a result of a functioning test regime? Anyways far too many to be allowed to compete in or hold championships like the Olympics for my taste. As most of you know - Russia is hosting the winter Olympics in february.

But definately a sticky case for Jamaica.

(Btw I had to make the topic of the post the way it is because of a limited number of available characters to describe the headline - apologies up front and feel free to edit it)
    -- God is a word - life is reality --

Re: WADA threatens to expel Jamaica -> Olympics -> drug test

"The commission did not have the staff to carry out rigorous anti-doping programmes, she wrote, and just one out-of-competition test was done between February 2012 and the start of the London Olympics five months later."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2013 ... orts1.html

Sometimes we don't understand how badly this dire world economy is hurting developing countries like Jamaica. My wife works at a high commission and their budget has been cut so much that they barely have enough money to pay salaries. A lot of their programmes have been cut or cancelled. It's unrealistic to expect JADCO to have the staff to carry out the programme the way WADA wants....

It's time that WADA funded and oversaw this programme themselves. It's pointless expecting Jamaica to fund JADCO, in these difficult economic times.
    My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan
      It's time that WADA funded and oversaw this programme themselves. It's pointless expecting Jamaica to fund JADCO, in these difficult economic times.

Exactly! Economically disadvantaged countries could benefit from this. Im sure they have the best intentions, but as you say, times as hard. Why not pull together to make dope testing more effective in those countries. Everyone wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Loggins
        Originally posted by shivfan

Exactly! Economically disadvantaged countries could benefit from this. Im sure they have the best intentions, but as you say, times as hard. Why not pull together to make dope testing more effective in those countries. Everyone wins.
        It seems that WADA is really a Joke in that there is no help for Poor Countries who are
        expected to comply with the ever increasing expense of running an Anti-Doping program.

It seems that the war on PED's has been lost to a poor World Economy and the ever increasing
        realization that this kind of war can't be won.

Comment

IOC will allow WADA to expel Bolt, Blake, SAFP... from the games? That's a good one :roll: .
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
            IOC will allow WADA to expel Bolt, Blake, SAFP... from the games? That's a good one :roll: .
            I cant see it happening. Must be fluff talk - warning message perhaps..

Comment

It's easy to make the threat three years from the games.

However, if JADCO doesn't show good faith in testing these athletes what is their value? The story likely will become bigger if improvements aren't made.

Comment

Are you idiots talking about economy when JADCO had >$600k set aside and couldn't even attempt to conduct real testing?

It is modern day East Germany. The team doctor is the head of anti-doping!

Comment

Wow, Wada did not need to make that statement. As a Jamaican, I'm as upset and embarrased at the country's testing program as anyone. However, at the same time I understand the country's limitations. Furthermore, I am a little surprised with the amount of credibility we are giving the article, especially when internet fodder ala Angel Heredia is being thrown in. :?

We are kind of in a unique situation where our success has greatly surpassed our ability to handle the responsibility. Issuing a statement like that will only reinforce the views of many Jamaicans that we are being unfairly targeted.

Many Jamaicans are still of the view that we don't have a problem, and even those that have accepted the fact with the recent revalations will point to African nations, USA, Spain and other European countries and say "Well what about them?"

JADCO will not succeed. We don't have the resources and the leadership is the epitome of incompetence. Rather than issuing ludicrous threats, Wada might eventually have to step in.
                  http://img2.pict.com/c9/f0/bf/2845608/0/b.jpg

Comment

Is WADA authorized to step in? What are the rules etc. in such situations?

Comment

When it works to Jamaicans advantage to not have the resources spent on ADA the incentives are wrong. Since we have seen a lot of Jamaican positive tests despite essentially no OOC testing, it places a serious cloud over the performance of Jamaican athletes.

Now, a cloud over Jamaican performances could cost the country a lot more than the cost of funding funding the organization at an adequate level.

[Note, this comment was typed several entries ago and then got 'caught' but the subsequent posts until I saw that it had been held.]

Comment

Your Nation is a safe haven for off season drug use.

And yes dude the games existed before them and will go on without them.

Comment

Originally posted by beebee
                          TAFNY!

Comment

As I've said in another thread, countries should not be the primarily responsible for policing their own doping. It's a conflict of interest, and substandard efforts and/or underfunding will be the common.

OOC anti-doping should be handled by officials who are independent of the country whose athletes are being tested.

Comment

Originally posted by beebee

And yes dude the games existed before them and will go on without them.
                              My nation? You could call me many names, a Jamaican is not one of them.
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X