• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Fastest growing in terms of infidelity.

I'd love to join that site; I bet it's a cornucopia of tragic hilarity - or perhaps hilarious tragedy. But if I did, then I'd have some mansplaining to do to my wife!
    Just use a pseudonym, you know something like tandfman or what about GH. Then you can blame someone else

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Of course the more than 40 days for some of the brown areas is a bit of an understatement....

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    This map shows the travel time from London to the rest of the world, in days, in 1881:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRsec_-XcAADN-U.jpg:large
    think that gets my vote as most fascinating map of the last few months

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    1881 is eight years after Jules Verne published "Around the World in 80 Days." Following his route he gets to the blue Pacific in 30-40 days, and then back to London in another 30-40 days.

I like how the U.S. has a thin yellow strip (10-20 days) from Denver to San Francisco along the path of the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads and cutting right through the pink (20-30 days)

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    This map shows the travel time from London to the rest of the world, in days, in 1881:

That's an interesting chart. The main thing it shows me is how the AIRPLANE revolutionized international travel, with an extra boost with the jets.

It also makes me talk of the revolutionary change in land travel in the mid 1800's.... it was called RAILROADS. Just as dramatic a change as was the airplane 70+ years later.

President Lincoln could zip up to New York in an afternoon, whereas President Jefferson probably needed 3+ days.

Last note about choo choo trains... it was only their appearance, especially on east-west routes, that brought about the formalization of Time Zones.
    Last edited by dukehjsteve; 12-24-2017, 04:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    The legend on that map refers to the "fastest growing cities", and I couldn't read the small print below the table to see if there was further qualification. Obviously, the fastest growing city is not the necessarily same as the city with the greatest incidence of infidelity.
    Fastest growing in terms of infidelity.

I'd love to join that site; I bet it's a cornucopia of tragic hilarity - or perhaps hilarious tragedy. But if I did, then I'd have some mansplaining to do to my wife!

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    The legend on that map refers to the "fastest growing cities", and I couldn't read the small print below the table to see if there was further qualification. Obviously, the fastest growing city is not the necessarily same as the city with the greatest incidence of infidelity. Chicago, which is not in the top 10 on the table, could have twice as much infidelity as LA, but if their infidelity rate was not growing, it wouldn't be on the chart.

Seeking clarification, I thought I'd go to the original to see if I could magnify it and read that line at the bottom of the table, I went to Google to find the Ashley Madison website. I found that it describes itself as "The Original Extramarital Affairs Site". Other hits on the first page of the G search said that the site had been hacked and the names of users of the site had been leaked, resulting in divorces and even suicides.

Needless to say, I did not visit the site to learn more. Mrs. tandfman wouldn't understand. :-)

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    in Canadian 46 million is worth 36M :-)

Leave a comment:

• wineturtle
    replied
    AshleyMadison is a Canadian Company How do Canadian Cities rank?

46 million subscribers !

Leave a comment:

• br
    replied
    L.A. is number 1 !!

Top 10 Cities in America For Cheaters

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell View Post
    Democracy means simply a system in which there are fair elections, resulting in the majority of population ruling through its chosen representatives. Oppressing minorities may be wrong, but it the majority supports it, it's still democratic.

Having said that, with the amount of power the military maintains, I would say Myanmar has a mixed system at best.
    But the EIU Index you posted assigns only 20% of weight to "electoral process and pluralism" (and another 20% for "political participation"), while "civil liberties" also account for 20%. If you rearrange the order of the rankings based on each category, you will see some countries quite high on the "electoral process" category do poorly on other categories (and vice versa).

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    funny how my favorite countries to visit are at the top end of that EIU list.
    The fact that they're rich and everyone can speak English may have something to do with it, too

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    funny how my favorite countries to visit are at the top end of that EIU list.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    The Economist has its own democracy index, in which countries are given scores based on several criteria. The latest scores can be seen HERE

Leave a comment:

Working...
X