Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    The most conservative and liberal towns in the US.

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/xU...6c615bde074fec
    Well, Madison (WI) does not make the list, possibly because it is too large to be dominated by a generally liberal majority.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
      The most conservative and liberal towns in the US.

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/xU...6c615bde074fec
      I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this list is dominated by New York, Texas and California.

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
        Well, Madison (WI) does not make the list, possibly because it is too large to be dominated by a generally liberal majority.
        How is Palo Alto not at the top (OK, second to Berzerkley)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          I'd like to know what the criteria was for determining which was liberal and which was conservative.

Comment

• Originally posted by booond View Post
            I'd like to know what the criteria was for determining which was liberal and which was conservative.
            Yep, that would be interesting.. I note most of the conservative towns are small/rural, non-university towns. I am surprised Oklahoma does not have a conservative town in the rankings since I do not personally know anyone here who admits being a liberal.

Comment

• I couldn't believe Chapel Hill wasn't on the list. Only good thing Jesse Helms ever said - asked to support a bill to build a North Carolina zoo, "Hell, what do we need a zoo for. Just put a fence around Chapel Hill."

One of my partners registered to vote there in the early 90s and wanted to register as a Republican. When he did so, the lady registering him turned to the lady next to her and asked how to do it - she had never registered a Republican before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Jerry Maguire has the answer to that one

Comment

• Crowdpac, a company working toward more transparency and widespread participation in campaign finance, used decades of campaign-finance reports from the Federal Election Commission to find out how liberal or conservative various donors are.

The company has a scoring system that evaluates where politicians and campaign donors fall on the left-right spectrum based on who is donating to whom and officials' voting records.

Liberal donors will donate to liberal candidates; conservatives running for office will seek out conservative donors. By tracking the relationships between donors and candidates, Crowdpac was able to assign an ideology score to candidates and donors alike.

Crowdpac shared lists of the most liberal and conservative US towns with at least 6,000 residents and at least 10 donors.
                  http://www.businessinsider.com/most-...owdpac-2015-12

It rates my hometown as totally middle-of-the-road but the city hasn't voted Republican since Dewey defeated Truman. Whatever.

Comment

Really? Use your imagination.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillVol View Post
                      Really? Use your imagination.
                      There actually has to be a criteria to a map like this. Liberal and conservative aren't factual terms. They are subject to a person's opinion of the term. What I think is liberal and conservative and what you think is liberal and conservative can be quite different.

Comment

There actually has to be a criteria to a map like this. Liberal and conservative aren't factual terms. They are subject to a person's opinion of the term. What I think is liberal and conservative and what you think is liberal and conservative can be quite different.
                        Good point. Libertarians have a very different idea of the meaning of conservatism than the Chrisitan Coalition. In many ways they are diametically opposed.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                          I couldn't believe Chapel Hill wasn't on the list. Only good thing Jesse Helms ever said - asked to support a bill to build a North Carolina zoo, "Hell, what do we need a zoo for. Just put a fence around Chapel Hill."

One of my partners registered to vote there in the early 90s and wanted to register as a Republican. When he did so, the lady registering him turned to the lady next to her and asked how to do it - she had never registered a Republican before.
                          I didn't know that about Chapel Hill but I guess that explains why my sister-in-law was hellbent on getting out of Wake County to move there. She had nothing but contempt for the "yahoos" in her old neighborhood but she's in hog heaven now.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                            Good point. Libertarians have a very different idea of the meaning of conservatism than the Chrisitan Coalition. In many ways they are diametically opposed.
                            A good example. Conservatives aren't all conservative in the same way; neither are liberals.

Comment

• How close to people live from mom?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...up-family.html

Comment

• Where Australia's population lives

https://www.facebook.com/drastephens...type=3&theater

Comment

Working...
                                X