Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun with maps

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by dj View Post
    So now you know the story behind Ivory Crockett's 9.0. It was downhill! :-)
    I know, right? I hope I didn't open up a can of worms!

    Comment


    • Here is a really cool map of the path of the total solar eclipse that will occur on Aug 21, 2017. http://bit.ly/1xuYxSu

      You can click on a point and it will tell you how long it will last and when it starts and ends.

      I only learned of this eclipse a couple of weeks ago, but have been a little obsessed with it since. it will only be about a 3 hour drive for me to get to a good viewing spot. hopefully I remember to request that day off or work.

      *Edit: note that times are in Universal time, so you'll likely need to subtract between 4 and 7 hours if you're in the US.
      Last edited by Merner521; 09-09-2016, 01:25 PM.

      Comment


      • I admire people who can figure this out..
        I will probably notice an 84% obscuration of the sun at 6:06 PM on 8/21/17 but I am not going to drive six hours for the other 16%.

        Comment


        • Perfectly timed; eight days after the conclusion of the World Champs in London!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
            I admire people who can figure this out..
            I will probably notice an 84% obscuration of the sun at 6:06 PM on 8/21/17 but I am not going to drive six hours for the other 16%.
            Cerulean, Kentucky: the bulls-eye of the eclipse.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Merner521 View Post
              Here is a really cool map of the path of the total solar eclipse that will occur on Aug 21, 2017. http://bit.ly/1xuYxSu

              You can click on a point and it will tell you how long it will last and when it starts and ends.

              I only learned of this eclipse a couple of weeks ago, but have been a little obsessed with it since. it will only be about a 3 hour drive for me to get to a good viewing spot. hopefully I remember to request that day off or work.
              We moved to Hilton Head, SC last week (still unpacking). Very excited that we are almost right on the path of totality for the 2017 eclipse - not quite - its about an hour drive away but will definitely make that.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                We moved to Hilton Head, SC last week (still unpacking). Very excited that we are almost right on the path of totality for the 2017 eclipse - not quite - its about an hour drive away but will definitely make that.
                Lucky duck. I love HHI. Let me know if you find any good restaurants there.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BillVol View Post
                  Lucky duck. I love HHI. Let me know if you find any good restaurants there.
                  Ditto BillyV ! My favorite vacation spot ! I envy you bamster !

                  One Hot Mama's for ribs !

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                    We moved to Hilton Head, SC last week (still unpacking). Very excited that we are almost right on the path of totality for the 2017 eclipse - not quite - its about an hour drive away but will definitely make that.
                    I wondered why a golfer who had spent most of his life in NC would move back to New England... I am going to work SEC at Clemson next year, the 41st state on my bucket list to officiate a meet.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Merner521 View Post
                      Here is a really cool map of the path of the total solar eclipse that will occur on Aug 21, 2017. http://bit.ly/1xuYxSu

                      You can click on a point and it will tell you how long it will last and when it starts and ends.

                      I only learned of this eclipse a couple of weeks ago, but have been a little obsessed with it since. it will only be about a 3 hour drive for me to get to a good viewing spot. hopefully I remember to request that day off or work.

                      *Edit: note that times are in Universal time, so you'll likely need to subtract between 4 and 7 hours if you're in the US.
                      Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      I admire people who can figure this out..
                      I will probably notice an 84% obscuration of the sun at 6:06 PM on 8/21/17 but I am not going to drive six hours for the other 16%.

                      Note my edit above. for me, it'll be around 1:20 pm CDT

                      If you're looking for a shorter drive, the 2024 eclipse may pass a little closer to your neighborhood, but the stuff I've been reading from eclipse nerds tells me that the difference is pretty big between witnessing a partial and total solar eclipse.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Merner521 View Post
                        the difference is pretty big between witnessing a partial and total solar eclipse.
                        I've watched one total eclipse, wearing two of those old ophthalmology cellophane/paper glasses on top of each other, and the corona effect was unforgettable!

                        http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam...-super-169.jpg

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                          I wondered why a golfer who had spent most of his life in NC would move back to New England... I am going to work SEC at Clemson next year, the 41st state on my bucket list to officiate a meet.
                          Grew up in New England. Both my wife and I thought you could go home again, but we've been down South too long now. Was probably inevitable. Glad we tried it and there are a few things I'll miss, mainly climbing mountains on my bike and hiking, but every year that will get harder anyway.

                          Unpacking all afternoon, breaking down boxes - temp in mid-90s. Sweating profusely so then took a dip in the small pool we have - was very nice.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by BillVol View Post
                            Lucky duck. I love HHI. Let me know if you find any good restaurants there.
                            Some great restaurants here - let me know when you get here and we'll go to a couple together with the wives.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                              Some great restaurants here - let me know when you get here and we'll go to a couple together with the wives.
                              That will be fun and maybe Steve can join us!

                              Comment


                              • Another in a long line of benefits from recently moving to Eugene (but kinda far down the list): Obscuration: 99.289%
                                Last edited by bad hammy; 09-10-2016, 02:56 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X