Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some great Nobel chartings here (thanks br!).

http://www.aei.org/publication/looki...ts-and-tables/

Comment

• Want to know how divided we are politically? Fascinating.
      http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...T.nav=top-news

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
        Want to know how divided we are politically? Fascinating.
        http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...T.nav=top-news
        Fascinating... wish it was available on bigger scale to accurately identify the counties and ponder the evolution of the vote...
        One question: Does anyone know how Republicans come to be considered red when red has been the designated color of China and Russia forever???

Comment

• From Wikipedia:

The choice of colors reverses a long-standing convention of political colors whereby red symbols (such as the Red Flag or Red Star) are associated with left-wing politics, and right-wing movements often choose blue as a contrasting color.[3] Indeed, until the 1980s, Republicans were often represented by blue and Democrats by red. The current terminology of "red states" and "blue states" came into use in the United States presidential election of 2000 on an episode of the Today show on October 30, 2000. According to The Washington Post, the terms were coined by journalist Tim Russert, during his televised coverage of the 2000 presidential election.[4] That was not the first election during which the news media used colored maps to depict voter preferences in the various states, but it was the first time a standard color scheme took hold; the colors were often reversed or different colors used before the 2000 election.
          Link to source:

Comment

• That is the way I remember it...without remembering the specifics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
              he current terminology of "red states" and "blue states" came into use in the United States presidential election of 2000 on an episode of the Today show on October 30, 2000. . . . coined by journalist Tim Russert.
              Ha! That's pretty danged specific!!

Comment

• What we need are more purple states

Comment

• How many countries can you identify?

https://www.zoo.com/quiz/97-people-c...SGyPw7byZTFpGQ

Comment

• 44 out of 50. Missed Dubai (guessed UAE), Rwanda (guessed Zambia), Uzbekistan (guessed Georgia), Bulgaria (guessed Romania-brain fart), Lithuania (don't remember what I guessed), and Morocco (stupidly outguessed myself & said Spanish Sahara).

Comment

• Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                      44 out of 50. Missed Dubai (guessed UAE), Rwanda (guessed Zambia), Uzbekistan (guessed Georgia), Bulgaria (guessed Romania-brain fart), Lithuania (don't remember what I guessed), and Morocco (stupidly outguessed myself & said Spanish Sahara).
                      You da man! I though I could do well naming on a map but identifying by shape alone with no scale or orientation.. tough.

Comment

44 out of 50. Missed Dubai (guessed UAE), Rwanda (guessed Zambia), Uzbekistan (guessed Georgia), Bulgaria (guessed Romania-brain fart), Lithuania (don't remember what I guessed), and Morocco (stupidly outguessed myself & said Spanish Sahara).
                        Most impressive.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

• No way I could come close to that if the test had been fill-the-blank instead of multiple choice.

Comment

No way I could come close to that if the test had been fill-the-blank instead of multiple choice.
                            Same here - I got 40, but 10 were guesses and another 10 were just that I knew it could not be the three other answers given. The tiny nations were the hardest.

Comment

• 34 out of 50. I never can do Africa. Some countries are just round.

Comment

• A More Accurate World Map Wins Prestigious Japanese Design Award: The AuthaGraph World Map

http://www.spoon-tamago.com/2016/10/...wa-authagraph/

"This original mapping method can transfer a spherical surface to a rectangular surface such as a map of the world while maintaining correctly proportions in areas. AuthaGraph faithfully represents all oceans, continents including the neglected Antarctica. These fit within a rectangular frame with no interruptions. The map can be tessellated without visible seams. Thus the AuthaGraphic world map provides an advanced precise perspective of our planet. *The map need a further step to increase a number of subdivision for improving its accuracy to be officially called an area-equal map."

Comment

Working...
                                X