Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun with maps

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • This NASA map shows the drastic amount of ice that’s disappeared from the arctic. Perennial Arctic ice, ice that survives the summer melt, has been drastic reducing in size. This map shows just how much it has changed over more than two decades.

    http://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-...ic-ice-2016-11

    Comment


    • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
      How many countries can you identify?
      Can't resist the temptation to post my score here, which was 49/50. Confused Barbados and St. Lucia.

      It seems my hours of staring at atlases are finally rewarded by this high-score and the possibility to brag about it here.

      Comment


      • which Brits are the most British? (with the caveat that this is basically a pay site trying to drum up business)

        http://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/2016/09...nal+Paid+Media

        Comment


        • Originally posted by gh View Post
          which Brits are the most British? (with the caveat that this is basically a pay site trying to drum up business)
          My forebears are from the West Midlands, which means I'm 'less British' than those limey twits in Yorkshire, which is fine with me, given the funny noses and bad teeth of the Brits!!!

          Comment


          • http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org
            How do we compare, wealth wise, to our parents? My father did better than I and so is my daughter. I guess a Ph. D. Doesn't come with a silver spoon. My father had a B.A. And was an Insurance executive, while my daughter became a nurse, then a Nurse Practitioner with big Pharma.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by gh View Post
              which Brits are the most British? (with the caveat that this is basically a pay site trying to drum up business)

              http://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/2016/09...nal+Paid+Media
              My mother was from Wales, and they don't even count!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
                My mother was from Wales, and they don't even count!
                It all depends how you define 'British'. I would have thought that the Welsh and the Cornish are the most British. How can the anglo saxons, invaders from continental Europe, be considered the 'most British'? That's like calling people from the US with pilgrim ancestors the most American while ignoring the native americans.
                Last edited by Daisy; 12-13-2016, 02:45 AM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Daisy View Post
                  It all depends how you define 'British'. I would have thought that the Welsh and the Cornish are the most British.
                  Indeed. All those Picts and Gaels and Britons are the real 'Brits'!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Indeed. All those Picts and Gaels and Britons are the real 'Brits'!
                    ..but, from whence came the Picts and Gaels and Britons ???

                    Comment


                    • The geography of U.S. opiod deaths (and heroin deaths, and synthetic & classic opiod deaths), which suggests that Ohio/Kentucky/WV is not a happy place to be for many people:

                      https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f8e5dcc10304

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by gh View Post
                        The geography of U.S. opiod deaths (and heroin deaths, and synthetic & classic opiod deaths), which suggests that Ohio/Kentucky/WV is not a happy place to be for many people:

                        https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f8e5dcc10304
                        How does it mesh with economic hope? Drug addiction and deaths have a curious pattern of following hope. The death of the middle class might have something to do with this.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                          ..but, from whence came the Picts and Gaels and Britons ???
                          Well . . . EVERYONE is from East Central Africa, but if you've been in a place for several thousand years, I'll give you credit for being native.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by booond View Post
                            How does it mesh with economic hope? Drug addiction and deaths have a curious pattern of following hope. The death of the middle class might have something to do with this.
                            Yes. But it's not substance abuse that is killing people prematurely.

                            http://www.vox.com/2016/12/13/139266...eath-by-county

                            Comment


                            • fascinating study!

                              Comment


                              • I worked on the Navajo reservation in Tuba City for a month when I was in residency in Denver. Poverty and sad conditions for many. Our pediatrician and his cardiologist wife worked on the same reservation somewhere. They also worked in Hyden, a SE Kentucky coal mining town (famous for a mine disaster that killed 38 men on Dec 30, 1970. I was eight, saw it all over the news in Louisville....my first realization that really bad things happen in life.) They said Hyden was so much worse than the reservation with regard to poverty, chronic illness, despair, ignorance, hopelessness, etc.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X