Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fun with maps

^ Thanks for sharing this map. Not exactly "fun," of course -- but a very well-designed and informative map. Very simple, but capable of showing a lot. And sobering -- considering how low a household income has to be in order to be classified as living in poverty.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
      The United States of college football:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bc_MQHfCQAAi_fN.jpg
      who knew Ohio State was in Chicago?!

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965
        Ive lived in a few cities with significant "poverty". I can honestly say that in every one the people living below the poverty line were living better than me, More luxury items in the homes, cableTV, air conditioning, cell phones and they bought more high end food at the grocer, better cuts of meat, better snacks, everything. The average working guy lives far more austerely than an American in the hammock of the welfare state. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by user4
          The average working guy lives far more austerely than an American in the hammock of the welfare state.
          If he chooses to. Having dealt with 'poverty-level' families for 20 years (aka E1-E3 in the armed forces, eligible for Food Stamps, if not eating in the on-base messes), I have seen how uncomfortable it truly is to have to live in the "hammock of the welfare state". :roll:

Comment

Many people on "welfare" are also working. Often full time. How many McDonald's workers are receiving food stamps, for example? Essentially, we (the tax payers) are subsidizing the low price of McDonald's meals through public assistance. Since I eat there only a few times a year, I'd rather have higher price for Big Mac so that I don't have to subsidize their workers with food stamps.

Comment

The Poverty map conforms to conventional wisdom much more than did the Sin Map.
              Expected high rates on the Indian reservations in NM and the Dakotas, Appalachia, Miss Delta and Rio Grande Valley.
              Still some question why islands of high or low poverty mostly bland states..Why Roulette and Benson Counties, ND immediately adjacent to the Bakken oil play? Why Whitman Co, WA (Spokane)?

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965
                Many people on "welfare" are also working. Often full time. How many McDonald's workers are receiving food stamps, for example? Essentially, we (the tax payers) are subsidizing the low price of McDonald's meals through public assistance. Since I eat there only a few times a year, I'd rather have higher price for Big Mac so that I don't have to subsidize their workers with food stamps.
                Interesting that you mention McDonald's. Apparently, the company created a financial planning site for its low-paid employees, and the model that it created simply assumed that the employee would have a second job paying almost as much as the first! The unstated conclusion being that nobody can be expected to get by just by working for McDonald's.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ge/277845/

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                  The Poverty map conforms to conventional wisdom much more than did the Sin Map.
                  Expected high rates on the Indian reservations in NM and the Dakotas, Appalachia, Miss Delta and Rio Grande Valley.
                  Still some question why islands of high or low poverty mostly bland states..Why Roulette and Benson Counties, ND immediately adjacent to the Bakken oil play? Why Whitman Co, WA (Spokane)?
                  The Whitman County answer is probably pretty simple. Noting for a start that Spokane isn't in Whitman County, it's in Spokane County, one block to the north.

Note that, curiously enough, there's a blighted area contiguous with Whitman County across the border in Latah County, Idaho.

What's the biggest enterprise in those two counties? Having lived in one and tried to kill myself many an evening in the other, and I can tell you it's Washington State and the University of Idaho.

A shitload of students and a lot of farms.

No idea how "poverty" is being calculated, but I'm guessing that if 20,000-odd no-job students comprise a huge portion of a county's population, that tag is going to be applied.

40 years ago, large numbers of Wazoo students availed themselves of food stamps; can't imagine they aren't still gaming the system the same way today.

Comment

Thanks, gh.. that explains one anomaly and, I suspect, a lot of the random anomalies. I knew Spokane was not in Whitman County... just mentioned closest recognizable city for benefit of the geographically handicapped.
                    You mention farms.. I would have thought the immense rolling palouse wheat fields were profitable...or perhaps they are slightly farther west.
                    I love this kind of stuff.

Comment

My roommate as a soph was a Whitman County farmkid. Far as I can tell, those rolling hills were indeed paved with gold.

But when there are hundreds/thousands of "zero-income" students for every one of them (assuming that's how the map was generated) you don't get a true picture.

Comment

Here is the answer to how off-campus students are counted, and how that affects Whitman Co.

When Off-Campus College Students are Excluded, Poverty Rates Fall in Many College Towns

"...more than half (51.8 percent) of students living off-campus and not living with relatives were below the poverty line. Excluding these students, the total poverty rate for the rest of the U.S. population dropped to 14.5 percent and most states also had small but statistically significant declines in their poverty rates."

"For those counties with statistically significant changes, the decrease in the poverty rate ranged from 16.5 percentage points for Whitman County, Wash., to 0.6 percentage point in Maricopa County, Ariz."

http://blogs.census.gov/2013/07/29/when ... ege-towns/

Comment

This map purports to show the 22 countries in the world that Great Britain has NOT invaded:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bd1xUxVCYAAQ-Jk.png

I may have to re-read my world history.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                            This map purports to show the 22 countries in the world that Great Britain has NOT invaded:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bd1xUxVCYAAQ-Jk.png

I may have to re-read my world history.
                            This is hilarious. In Europe, if you discount Sweden and Belarus, it is Vatican, Monaco, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and Andorra. Some sovereign countries through the history. Not San Marino, though :lol: .
                            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                              This is hilarious. In Europe, if you discount Sweden and Belarus, it is Vatican, Monaco, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and Andorra. Some sovereign countries through the history. Not San Marino, though :lol: .
                              Do you perhaps know when the Czech Republic and Slovakia get attacked by the Brits? I can't think of any cases when it happened to Poland...
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                                Originally posted by Pego
                                Do you perhaps know when the Czech Republic and Slovakia get attacked by the Brits? I can't think of any cases when it happened to Poland...
                                Slovakia in WWII, as it was a Germany's ally. One of the air raids targeted Apollo refinery in Bratislava. I am not personally aware of earlier times or for Czechia.
                                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                                X