Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pego View Post
    A few dishes that were the absolute best in totally unexpected places.

Sheraton in Akron, OH.
    a restaurant in a shopping mall in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky
    a dive in a truck stop just off I-35
    in a tent outside Ted Gromley
    a strip mall on the outskirts of Washington DC.
    Great stuff!

Comment

• World Map of the Most Translated Books by Country (preply.com)

Comment

• Apparently, there is something offensive about "the most translated books by country" map.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
          Apparently, there is something offensive about "the most translated books by country" map.
          Must have missed that one or was not offended. Can't find it.

Comment

• The population size within 15km radius of city center. (The number next to the city name represents multiples of 10,000.)

https://www.5656map.jp/pop_15k.html#9/35.6895/139.6917

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
              The population size within 15km radius of city center. (The number next to the city name represents multiples of 10,000.)

https://www.5656map.jp/pop_15k.html#9/35.6895/139.6917
              Thanks, doc, very informative. Lots of people packed into some areas. Some of the smaller city's population seem inflated.
              What does a dashed circle mean? Exhaustive compilation but I could not find Havana, Cuba.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

Thanks, doc, very informative. Lots of people packed into some areas. Some of the smaller city's population seem inflated.
                What does a dashed circle mean? Exhaustive compilation but I could not find Havana, Cuba.
                https://www.5656map.jp/pop_15k.html#....0848/-82.2149

Comment

• Ha!! I did not blow it up enough. I knew where it should be. Strange it disappears within another city's circle.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                    Ha!! I did not blow it up enough. I knew where it should be. Strange it disappears within another city's circle.
                    More an effect of the lengthy name of the other city, I think.

Comment

• I have no idea what a dotted circle means, but I think one of the reasons that the population looks inflated for smaller cities is because other municipalities are included in the 15km radius. (For example, the circle around Durham, NC includes part of Chapel Hill.) This is actually true for some of the biggest cities. The circle around Paris includes many neighboring cities, and its population is inflated.

Comment

• Yeah, I am figuring it out. The population is duplicated within overlapping or enclaved circles. What got my attention was a small OKC enclave credited with 500,000 when the actual population is probably about 10,000. Still a great map.
                        Last edited by lonewolf; 09-25-2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

More an effect of the lengthy name of the other city, I think.
                          There's a similar situation with Riga, the capital of Latvia. I think it's a combination of a smaller place with a long name and a larger place with a much shorter one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

There's a similar situation with Riga, the capital of Latvia. I think it's a combination of a smaller place with a long name and a larger place with a much shorter one.
                            My State Dept granddaughter recently transferred from Riga, Latvia to Sofia, Bulgaria. She has studied at university or worked professionally in St Petersburg, Russia, Birmingham, UK, Bologna, Italy, Lima, Peru, Tiblisi, Georgia, Bisket, Kyrgyzstan, and Stillwater, Oklahoma where she was undoubtedly the most widely traveled and best-educated lifeguard at the municipal swimming pool. (or anywhere else, for that matter.)
                            She back-packed/rail passed all over Europe; says Riga was her favorite duty station but Stockholm, Sweden her favorite city to visit. ( No cogent explanation but she is a tall, attractive blond.)
                            Last edited by lonewolf; 09-26-2021, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

Somewhat similar situation with Manila. I remember Queson City used to be the capital of Philippines. Now it's part of the Manila metro.

Comment

• Headline - The Maps That Steer Us Wrong

Lede - >>Too many of our digital maps are sellouts.

Just like the projection maps we’re all familiar with that inaccurately depict Greenland dwarfing South America, the digital maps that orient our lives on smartphones and laptops are the result of a series of compromises or half-truths and don’t always accurately represent the world as it is.<<

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/26/o...ital-maps.html

(I assume this is behind the NY Times paywall.)
                                Last edited by tandfman; 09-27-2021, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X