Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick the winner, USA or New Zealand

Oracle, Team USA has been getting better, but the Kiwi's are still kicking tail. One more win and the trophy goes down under. The boats and crews have been incredible. There is something magical about a sailboat going in excess of 50mph. We will never see monohulls again.

Re: One win away

Sigh . . . The America's Cup, like Olympic Pole Vaulting used to be a USA-only club. it's good that the rest of the world has caught (and passed) us, but yeah, I have enough red, white, and blue blood in me to look wistfully back at our domination. 8-)

Comment

It is a stretch to call the Oracle team "Team USA". It is run by a Kiwi, the crew is mostly Aussies & Kiwis and only includes a single American. Of course, it is USA $$$ funding the campaign.

Comment

Kiwi's are the best in the world and the owners pay for the best, pure and simple. The foreigner Americans won today on a great start. They will race again on Friday. The start is the key to winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Rye Catcher
          We will never see monohulls again.
          Which is sad, I think. The cats may be faster but the monohull's lines were far more elegant and beautiful, at least to my untrained eye. The very embodiment of the term racing yacht.

Comment

Originally posted by JayIsMe
            Which is sad, I think. The cats may be faster but the monohull's lines were far more elegant and beautiful, at least to my untrained eye. The very embodiment of the term racing yacht.
            These big cats are speeding at over 50mph. Displacement monohulls of comparable length will have a maximum speed of about 13mph. The cats are for well trained athletes whereas a good big monohull may have some pot bellied crew members. Even GH and I could crew a monohull.

Comment

Team USA gets a big break. Light winds causes race to be abandoned with the Kiwi's having a big lead. The race must be completed within 40 minutes. Maybe the 2nd race today will be completed.

Comment

[quote=Rye Catcher]
                Originally posted by JayIsMe
                Originally posted by "Rye Catcher":1jgffk01
                These big cats are speeding at over 50mph. Displacement monohulls of comparable length will have a maximum speed of about 13mph. The cats are for well trained athletes whereas a good big monohull may have some pot bellied crew members. Even GH and I could crew a monohull.[/quote:1jgffk01]

last monohull i raced on I stood at the pointy end and it almost broached; end of my sailing career :mrgreen:

Comment

HMMM.... since I'll be in the city this afternoon, perhaps a walk along the Embarcadero is in order!

Comment

Originally posted by meninblack
                    It is a stretch to call the Oracle team "Team USA". It is run by a Kiwi, the crew is mostly Aussies & Kiwis and only includes a single American. Of course, it is USA $$$ funding the campaign.
                    True, although there might be 2 Americans on the US team... But since it's primarily Dubai $$$ funding the "Emirates Airlines New Zealand" campaign, it's possible that some might also call it a stretch to call that team "Team Kiwi" too... :wink:

Comment

a quick google didn't kick up any easy data on how the Kiwi funding is shared, but the federal government appears to be kicking in no less than $30M (US).

scene at the finish line this afternoon, where I was (but the boats weren't) was us and many thousands of our closest friends. Lotsa Kiwi black.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        a quick google didn't kick up any easy data on how the Kiwi funding is shared, but the federal government appears to be kicking in no less than $30M (US).
                        Certain articles seem to suggest that they need about 50 to 60 million more than what the New Zealand government contributes to be competitive, and that the governent funding is dependent on a certain amount of guaranteed funding from outside sources.

"Budget overall for 2013 appears to be in the $150M NZD ($80-85M USD) range, based on comments by Dalton that the government's portion of the budget is less than 20% of their total funds. Dalton also pointed out that even with the other partners, the Nespresso sponsorship was critical, and that the team had only stayed in business with the help of several private benefactors."

http://www.cupinfo.com/en/americas-cup- ... -34-01.php

Comment

but whatever outsiders kick in, the gov't is still kicking in 30M more than the US! (of course, that's the way we roll)

Comment

Team USA wins twice today making this the most exciting America's Cup of all time. No doubt about it, the Kiwi's were out sailed today. The Americans won both starts and never lost the lead. Get your recorders set up for Monday. Should be a hoot.

Comment

Team USA wins twice today making this the most exciting America's Cup of all time. No doubt about it, the Kiwi's were out sailed today. The Americans won both starts and never lost the lead. Get your recorders set up for Monday. Should be a hoot.
                              Most exciting of all time? That is a bit of a stretch I think. At least there is some drama. If Oracle manages through some miracle to come back and sweep the rest of the races and win, then I might be inclined to agree. But having attended the 1983 series in person, still think this pales compared to that.

Comment

Working...
                              X