Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intersectional HS athletic events

Sports are now becoming corrupt and filthy at the prep level. High school teams taking jets now instead of school buses. Shoe companies endorsing HS teams. National TV coverage of games. The AAU -- don't get me started on them.

The other day on ESPN, there was a football game featuring a team from Florida (I think Booker T. Washington) against a team from Las Vegas (Bishop Gorman?). I don't see anything wrong with a team from one state playing a team from an adjoining state. But there is a lot wrong with a game such as BTW vs Bishop Gorman.

My question is can the National Federation of State High School Associations do anything to stop this type of thing? Or can the state associations stop them?

Re: Intersectional HS athletic events

Originally posted by BillVol
    Sports are now becoming corrupt and filthy at the prep level. . . . My question is can the National Federation of State High School Associations do anything to stop this type of thing? Or can the state associations stop them?
    Why would they want to? Everyone is getting a piece of the action. HS sports wouldn't be so 'filthy' if there were not the public demand for it, so who are you blaming, us for wanting it? People come from all over to the Penn Relays and it is televised - how 'corrupt'!

You're barking up the wrong tree. It is what it is, because that's what it has developed into. There's nothing inherently bad or good about the situation; there's just some bad people who are trying to find an angle to unethically profit from it (recruiting 'services' and 'agents' and bookies who 'incentivize' kids to influence a game's outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      Sports are now becoming corrupt and filthy at the prep level. . . . My question is can the National Federation of State High School Associations do anything to stop this type of thing? Or can the state associations stop them?
      Why would they want to? Everyone is getting a piece of the action. HS sports wouldn't be so 'filthy' if there were not the public demand for it, so who are you blaming, us for wanting it? People come from all over to the Penn Relays and it is televised - how 'corrupt'!

You're barking up the wrong tree. It is what it is, because that's what it has developed into. There's nothing inherently bad or good about the situation; there's just some bad people who are trying to find an angle to unethically profit from it (recruiting 'services' and 'agents' and bookies who 'incentivize' kids to influence a game's outcome.

Marlow, shouldn't the priority for kids at the HS level be educating them? And getting them to bed at a decent hour? Even on the weekends? Instead of playing AAU ball all summer, shouldn't they be encouraged to get a summer job? And instead of organized sports, let them play pick-up ball? This didn't hurt Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. JMO.

Penn is different to me. It is a one time per year event for most track people.

I realize that being an athlete at any level is difficult. But I think they have crossed the line in many cases.

Comment

Marlow, shouldn't the priority for kids at the HS level be educating them? And getting them to bed at a decent hour? Even on the weekends? Instead of playing AAU ball all summer, shouldn't they be encouraged to get a summer job? And instead of organized sports, let them play pick-up ball? This didn't hurt Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. JMO.
        You are not their parent. Much as it bums me many time also, parenting is up to the parents. 99% of HS athletes are not in it for the fame and glory that you cite.

Comment

1) If it was Bishop Gorman, Las Vegas, did you notice the QB?
          Randall Cunningham, Jr., national HS HJ leader last spring at 7'3.25"

2) Yes, HS sports have become incredibly corrupt, but state governing bodies lack the legal leverage, the cash, and the motivation to control the situation.

3) My personal case-in-point: We have a young family member who is 15 years old, 6'8", 235 lbs, and strong with a very wide wing span. He is a journeyman B-ball player in terms of skill levels but his size has thrust attention his way.
          Last year as a 9th grader he appeared on national TV playing a HS game 2,000 miles from home. This year he transferred from the high powered private school he attended to another high profile private school. Even though he never started a game, the transfer made headlines on multiple HS B-ball websites. Next year he could be somewhere else. It is not a healthy situation; I think it stinks but it is the wave of the future.

Comment

Working...
          X