Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was immediately turned off by Fitzsimmon's front page article about the 1959 US - Russian (sorry USSR) Track Meet in Philadelphia when he wrote that "The Russians Are Coming" was a mediocre movie. I guess he was never a movie critic. But on a major story of the meet he was wrong when he wrote that it appeared that Bob Soth finished second in the 10,000 (to Desyatchikov). Everyone knows that it was Max Truex.

Comment

• Correction: Frank Fitzpatrick of "The Philadelphia Inquirer."

Comment

• The story said he was lapped...

Anyways he mentioned Dave Bank meaning Dick Bank, famous interloper on the Billy Mills radio broadcast.

Comment

• Soth was the only one of the four that didn't finish the race.

Comment

• Currently the TFN homepage links to SI's lists of the 50 Fittest Men and 50 Fittest Women on earth, each list with some T & F athletes.
            Beyond the astonishingly stupid premise of naming the fittest people on earth, the lists seem willfully ignorant.
            Rupp is listed but not Farah nor any of the legion of East African distance men,
            Eaton is #1 among men (I won't dispute that) but Theisen-Eaton is several places behind Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm.
            Sheesh!

Comment

• An absurd compilation of something that is impossible to quantify to any exactitude..

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                An absurd compilation of something that is impossible to quantify to any exactitude..
                X-actly. The 50 fittest people on the planet are the top 50 Marathoners.
                Whatsamatta - you can't run a 2:07 Marathon and you call yourself FIT?! Ha!

Comment

• Originally posted by cubehead View Post
                  The story said he was lapped...

Anyways he mentioned Dave Bank meaning Dick Bank, famous interloper on the Billy Mills radio broadcast.
                  I believe it was tv, not radio.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                    I believe it was tv, not radio.
                    Yes, gloriously recounted here:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/ind...1964-race-call

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      X-actly. The 50 fittest people on the planet are the top 50 Marathoners.
                      Whatsamatta - you can't run a 2:07 Marathon and you call yourself FIT?! Ha!
                      Don't know about that. The top XC skiiers, the Tour de France cyclists, and the Ironman triathletes may have something to say - and still you are only talking aerobic fitness.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                        Don't know about that. The top XC skiiers, the Tour de France cyclists, and the Ironman triathletes may have something to say - and still you are only talking aerobic fitness.
                        As soon as they threw Galen Rupp in there, you knew they weren't talking Mr. Universe. But you're right about Ironman champs - they are ridiculously fit!!

Comment

• And some hold (the Crossfit community, for one) that fitness involves not only the ability to move just your own body, but objects/weights/tasks. Work capacity. Although I'm not a huge fan of Crossfit, I know they would argue strenuously that they are the fittest on Earth because there probably isn't a (World Class) Marathoner on Earth than can deadlift 400+ pounds and do 100 straight push-ups and Row 2000k in under 7:00, etc...

In other words, what's the definition of fit?

Personally, because they DO combine strength, coordination, power, speed, endurance, skill I would amend Atticus' "50 Top Marathoners" to the "50 Top Decathletes" but that's just my take.
                          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                            they would argue strenuously that they are the fittest on Earth because there probably isn't a (World Class) Marathoner on Earth than can deadlift 400+ pounds and do 100 straight push-ups and Row 2000k in under 7:00, etc...

In other words, what's the definition of fit?
                            The article certainly doesn't know. They throw together huge strong athletes who couldn't break 20 in a 5K, with a Galen Rupp who couldn't bench 225.

Comment

• Back to other clueless writing. There's a story now linked on the front page about Americans competing at the Pre Classic. It concludes with this sentence:

>>The Prefontaine Classic is named after Oregon native Steve Prefontaine, an Olympian killed in a 1977 car accident at 24.<<

In fact, that fatal accident occurred in 1975.

It's a bit upsetting to see an article written by the Associated Press and appearing on the NBC website that gets such a basic fact wrong. If you can't trust the AP and NBC to get simple facts right . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                                I have to agree with you here. My local gym has cardio room and a weightlifting room right next to it. I would say that 80-90% of the people at my gym spend 100% of their time on one side of the gym, totally neglecting either their aerobic fitness or their strength and power fitness. IMO, a truly fit person should be able to go on either side of the gym and impress us.

Comment

Working...
                                X