Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wineturtle
    replied
    tried to search AAU Junior Olympics but it does not seem to have a working results archive that far back
    http://www.aaujrogames.org/Results/ResultArchives.aspx

To the clueless the Junior part can be insignificant

The label I like is "training for the Olympics'
    My pre-teen mind was indeed training for the OGs. The reality of my 23.5 220 HS PB indicates the folly of that dream.

Leave a comment:

• br
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Not writing but MLB broadcasting: Delino DeShields Jr. is the son of Delino DeShields and Tisha (Michelle) Milligan (Elliot) who competed for Tennessee in the early 1990's in the Pentathlon. I can't say I'm all that familiar with her but it was mentioned during the broadcast that she competed in the Olympics for the US.
    Best I could see from her in a championship was an 8th place finish in the 1991 NCAA Heptathlon (5228).

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Not writing but MLB broadcasting: Delino DeShields Jr. is the son of Delino DeShields and Tisha (Michelle) Milligan (Elliot) who competed for Tennessee in the early 1990's in the Pentathlon. I can't say I'm all that familiar with her but it was mentioned during the broadcast that she competed in the Olympics for the US.

I'm not sure she even competed in the US Trials in any year (the great T&FN link of US Trials results has not been activated yet) but we see this from time to time when it is said or written of anyone who put a track uniform on was an Olympian or almost an Olympian.
    The Richard Hymans work on the history of the USOT can still be accessed on the USATF site, and Milligan is not found.
    https://www.usatf.org/statistics/cha...mpicTrials.pdf

Leave a comment:

• br
    replied
    I think it's great that the IAAF is celebrating Global Running Day on June 6, more so since one of the runs will be in my hometown, Los Angeles. What isn't so great is that the photo associated with the Los Angeles link is of the city of Dallas: IAAF Run 24-1 Los Angeles.

Dallas skyline.jpg

Here is L.A.

LA skyline.JPG

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied

I don't blame the broadcaster, who was either Sean McDonough or Dan Schulman who sound alike to me, but the researcher.

I'm not sure she even competed in the US Trials in any year (the great T&FN link of US Trials results has not been activated yet) but we see this from time to time when it is said or written of anyone who put a track uniform on was an Olympian or almost an Olympian.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    From today's NY Times.
    "Russia remains one of track and field’s powerhouse nations; only the United States and Kenya have won more world championship medals."

That was then this is now.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/s...T.nav=top-news

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    But I agree. The Louisville Courier Journal was a stellar paper when I was growing up in the 1970s. Gannett bought it in the 1980s and it's gone steadily downhill ever since. I get it that declining circulation and (probably) declining advertising revenue have led to cost-cutting measures at newspapers, hence smaller and maybe lower quality staffs. It's just another sign of the times.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    To show that is endemic, especially with copy editors, I saw an obituary this AM of a US Olympian (swimmer), noting that "Paul Bearers included her brother, ... "
    Well,..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bearer

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Alas, I fear that copy editors are a dying breed.

(I suppose we should be thankful that there are still newspapers.)

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    To show that is endemic, especially with copy editors, I saw an obituary this AM of a US Olympian (swimmer), noting that "Paul Bearers included her brother, ... "

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by Erickem
    And all the buffoons pronounce it

de-cath-a-lete.
    And prior to Rio, many airports showed Ashton Eaton in ads for United Airlines, noting that he competed in the Decathalon.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Here's a good one:

>> Shalene Flanagan had an off day. If you’re not an especially lively running fan you may know the 36-year-old Flanagan, the American woman who’s the reigning New York City Marathon champion and basically the Usain Bolt of distance running. <<

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the...thon-standards

I'm not sure why Golf Digest would be covering the Boston Marathon, but they should stick to golf if they think that a runner who's never held a World Record and never won an Olympic or World Championship race could be considered the Usain Bolt of distance running.
    Well, as an editor of that magazine, I also have no idea why they are discussing the marathon, unless it relates to the length of rounds anymore.

I used to write a column for them on medical issues, and for some reason I've been listed as the medical editor for years, although I haven't written anything for them in over 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Here's a good one:

>> Shalene Flanagan had an off day. If you’re not an especially lively running fan you may know the 36-year-old Flanagan, the American woman who’s the reigning New York City Marathon champion and basically the Usain Bolt of distance running. <<

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the...thon-standards

I'm not sure why Golf Digest would be covering the Boston Marathon, but they should stick to golf if they think that a runner who's never held a World Record and never won an Olympic or World Championship race could be considered the Usain Bolt of distance running.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    How about this for a clueless headline writer:

>>Geoffrey Kirui and Edna Rupp renew Boston Marathon duel<<...
    that's a time warp quote, looking ahead to the next decade when the IAAF's mixed-sex policy comes into full play :-)

Leave a comment:

• Master Po
    replied
    Regarding the previously unheard of CWG 800m record holder (noted above), I saw that too, and wrote it off to my own ignorance, thinking, "wow, how did I never hear of that athlete and that performance?" (But I never got around to looking it up.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X