• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    How about this description of our sport:
    >>Sport jargon such as circle for throwing, bar clearence, valve baton racing and starting area describe track & field<<
    Valve baton racing? Wow!
    http://www.novaguide.gr/en/show/1016...llenge-league/
    Ha! Literal translations are tricky. I suspect an idiom got in the way.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    How about this description of our sport:

>>Sport jargon such as circle for throwing, bar clearence, valve baton racing and starting area describe track & field<<

Valve baton racing? Wow!

http://www.novaguide.gr/en/show/1016...llenge-league/

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I realize that Milesplit articles are frequently written by non-professionals (with little editorial oversight), but this is linked on the front page here. It made me LOL.

How 'low' can you go?
    Perhaps it was a cow pun.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    If I wanted to cite every solecism that appeared in everything I read about our sport on the web, I'd open up a new thread about clueless writing (track content incidental). And if I posted all of this bad writing, we'd soon have a thread of record length. I could probably fill a page just with quotes from athletes, coaches, and others who said that something or other didn't phase them. I see that much too often.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    I realize that Milesplit articles are frequently written by non-professionals (with little editorial oversight), but this is linked on the front page here. It made me LOL.

Low and behold, moving to Iowa was a huge eye-opener for me. Iowa is behind the times . . .
    How 'low' can you go?

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    The November issue of T&FN made a boo-boo in its "Where They Are Going" section---a BIGGIE!!

Look at Florida State's New recruits!

Listed there is one JESSICA Judd!!

WHAT???

She of the 1:59, 4:03, 8:43, and 15:34 PR's, not to mention all those medals & awards??

Well, I got a bit suspicious--knowing she'll be 23 in January, and has probably already graduated from a British university!
    Not to mention her times are listed there as being 4:24 & 16:17.

So I googled her, and discovered she has a younger sister--name of JODIE Judd!!
    It's SHE who is the new recruit at Florida State!!

OOPS, T&FN!!!!

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    I was amused by this photo caption (in an article now in the front page headline section):

>>New Orleans track star Audrey "Mickey" Patterson (second from left, wearing number 707) sprints to the finish line in the 200-meter dash at the 1948 Olympic Games in London. . . . her bronze would make her the first African-American women in history to win an Olympic gold medal. <<

She must have had a good alchemist.
    In addition, photos of that finish clearly show that Shirley Strickland finished third, not Patterson.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    I was amused by this photo caption (in an article now in the front page headline section):

>>New Orleans track star Audrey "Mickey" Patterson (second from left, wearing number 707) sprints to the finish line in the 200-meter dash at the 1948 Olympic Games in London. . . . her bronze would make her the first African-American women in history to win an Olympic gold medal. <<

She must have had a good alchemist.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I'm not sure the writer knew there were phases to the TJ..

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    Simple. 15-13-15.... maybe he walked fast
    Maybe C Taylor could do that . . ., but probably not in that proportion.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I'm really not feeling it.
    Simple. 15-13-15.... maybe he walked fast

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    I don't doubt he could do 43 feet with a two step walkup
    I'm really not feeling it.
    Last edited by Atticus; 11-18-2017, 01:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I don't doubt he could do 43 feet with a two step walkup.. my problem is the writers gaffe of a 40 foot runup being customary instead of a more common 40 yard runup.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    instead of walking back 40 feet from the jumping board, as everyone in the history of track has done, he stood 10 feet back. Jones took two walking steps, careful to stay behind the line, and leaped. He landed at exactly 43 feet."
    Ha! Normal run over 100'; short run, maybe as close as 50'. Two jogging steps and then 6 very quick strides.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Current SI article extolling the athletic skills of Julio Jones describing a TJ competition where, having fouled his first two jumps, he faced elimination writes,

"Jones lines up for his last attempt. But instead of walking back 40 feet from the jumping board, as everyone in the history of track has done, he stood 10 feet back. Jones took two walking steps, careful to stay behind the line, and leaped. He landed at exactly 43 feet."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X