Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clueless writing about our sport

Do not expect serious, introspective coverage of track and field until our beautiful sport takes itself seriously. Our courageous and ambitious efforts at waging a war on PED's has cost us our place in the American consciousness and kept us out of truly high regard in the sporting world. We are to the national and international public, a shady sport of drug cheats.
    We have only ourselves -- the track world -- to blame. FIFA and the NBA deal with no such problem. They just stay out of it.

Examine the different tactics employed by the NFL and USATF (and IAAF) with failed drug test disclosures. The NFLbriefly experimented with "public disclosure", that track invented. They found such disclosure only damaged the NFL image, which is the most valued in worldwide sport and they pulled back to a way more discreet policy. The NFL is more protective of its image, and less anxious to publicize drug violators, in order to better preserve the league "product".

I would suggest track should be asking the NFL how they manage such information. There has got to be a way to detect PED abuse without destroying the very name of track and field. Public disclosure has proved to be a miserable failure. It has not served as a deterrant AND it has destroyed the name of our sport. It is a lose/lose. We have years of image repair ahead of us, but there is always hope, with engaged leadership.

Comment

The BBC would like to wish everyone a happy and prosperous Chinese New Year.

http://yournz.org/2014/02/01/year-of-the-whores/

Comment

This may be nit-picking, but it's been reported that Brianne TE is going to 7 step BETWEEN hurdles. That's a lot of steps in a sprint hurdles race.

It’s also the rationale behind a potential change in Brianne Theisen-Eaton’s hurdle technique this year. She wants to take a stab at reducing her steps from eight to seven between barriers.
        From a 'track' website.

http://www.gotracktownusa.com/News/D...-new-barriers/

Comment

I suspect it is to the first barrier.

Comment

Sorta on topic, sorta....

When will football announcers figure out you can run track but not be.....WORLD CLASS....let me guess, never!

Once heard an Army game where one of the announcers said......"he has tremendous speed, ran a 10.7 100m"......hahaha!!!!!!!!!

Comment

On the front page....

"Fingers have been pointed and accusations made at the world’s sprinting powerhouse but some 5,000 miles away and some 20 degrees cooler, Jamaica’s athletes will make their first international bow of the season in the Midlands."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gene ... 29877.html

Every time I read an article in the British press about Jamaican athletics, it's riddled with inaccuracies....

This is NOT "the first international bow of the season" for Jamaica's athletes. For example, Aleen Bailey and Andrea Bliss have been running in Dusseldorf and Karlsruhe before this meet, and when I last checked, they were Jamaican....
              :roll:
              My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

It is not incorrect, just a bit weird... today's Indianapolis Star has a small squib about the new PV record, and reports that the new record broke the old one by "one-hundreth of a meter."

And while I am here I will give a kudo to local Star writer David Woods. Whenever he reports Track results he does it with knowledge and accuracy.

Comment

^^ It does sound odd -- like saying, "G. Dibaba broke the previous 2-mile record* by about one-tenth of a minute."

*yes, I know -- "best," not "record."

Comment

From the article on the front page: "NASSAU, Bahamas (CMC):With less than 100 days to go before the staging of the inaugural International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF)..."
                    Is it really that hard to know what does IAAF stand for?

Comment

On Let's Run, "On February 1, Dibaba smashed Abebe Aregawi‘s 3:57.91 world record by running 3:55.17. On February 6th, she took down Meseret Defar’s 3,000 world record of 8:23.72 by running 8:16.90."

Well, Aregawi ran that 3:57.91, AFTER, "Baby Baby's" 3:55, and BB' 3000 was 8:16.60.
                      Cheers,
                      Alan Shank
                      Woodland, CA

Comment

Here's another clanger:
                        http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... mpionships
                        Either he doesn't know what a meter is, or he doesn't know what a pole is.

Comment

Originally posted by berkeley
                          Here's another clanger:
                          http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... mpionships
                          Either he doesn't know what a meter is, or he doesn't know what a pole is.
                          To wit:
                          "The Frenchman, who set the new world mark of 2.16 metres in Donetsk on Saturday, later opened a wound on the inside of his left ankle after falling back while attempting to clear 2.21 metres."

I see that all the time - there's no common sense filter applied. When my daughter won the Florida State (HS) PV title as a freshman in 1997, and people would ask me how high she jumped, I would sometimes say "5 feet" and other times "16 feet" (it was 10 feet) and the response was always the same - "Oh, that's great!" :roll:

Comment

From an article linked to from the front page:

"Former Olympic and World 800m champion Janeth Jepkosgei was among athletes who turned up for Athletics Kenya selection of probables for the IAAF World Relays at Kenya Prisons grounds, Lang’ata, on Saturday."

Last I heard, Jepkosgei had never been Olympic 800m champion, although she did win a silver medal in 2008, behind Pamela Jelimo.

Where do they get these guys?
                            Cheers,
                            Alan Shank
                            Woodland, CA

Comment

Not really about track, but this caught my eye this morning:

http://www.universityherald.com/article ... ate-ad.htm

Both the headline and the story (3rd paragraph) refer to the University of Pennsylvania as Penn State. They are, of course, two entirely different schools.

Comment

This one is a prize:

Experts from Mondo in Canada are expected to arrive at Eldoret’s Kipchoge Stadium in two weeks’ time to lay a tartan track.
                                http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/sports/a ... -stadium#/

I don't think they make Tartan tracks anymore. But if they did, they would not be laid by Mondo, which makes a competing brand of all-weather track.

Comment

Working...
                                X