Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDFINE
    replied
    No need to say your sorry - you were watching ESPN and I was watching the local and national network. Brenkus was also giving misleading stuff about how ex-footballer Tiki Barber was doing. He wanted to break 4:00, and ran an average of 10:03 for the first half. He was in the midst of blowing up at 14+ / mile for the next split, and Brenkus suggested that he could still pick it up. He might be able to report on the physiological aspects of what was being monitored, but he apparently didn't know enough about the marathon to be able to make cogent statements about what was happening running wise.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
    We're talking about the same guy.
    OK, sorry. I was also somewhat tired of the "Meb is greatest ever American marathoner" theme. In addition to gold and silver, Shorter also won Fukuoka four times consecutively (?1972-75), back when it was somewhat of a de facto World Championship race.

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    On ESPN, even John Brenkus, who is their science guy, said the men were running at 4:47 pace, and said that was about a 2-12 marathon. 4:47 works out more like a 2-05:30 pace. They were on about 2-12 pace, certainly, but that is more like 5:02 pace
    We're talking about the same guy.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
    Re: NYC Marathon T.V. coverage. Clueless reporting.
    I just finished watching the local ABC-TV coverage, which I'd DVR'd and was 5 hours long. The guy that they had doing the reporting on the data that they gathered on several participants wasn't very informed. He reported on two people, saying that they were running 9:23 and 9:24 per mile and were on pace to both run 3:48 and change. Earlier in the broadcast he said that Meb was the greatest American marathon runner ever. O.K. that's his opinion, but I suppose he never heard of Shorter.
    On ESPN, even John Brenkus, who is their science guy, said the men were running at 4:47 pace, and said that was about a 2-12 marathon. 4:47 works out more like a 2-05:30 pace. They were on about 2-12 pace, certainly, but that is more like 5:02 pace

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied
    Re: NYC Marathon T.V. coverage. Clueless reporting.
    I just finished watching the local ABC-TV coverage, which I'd DVR'd and was 5 hours long. The guy that they had doing the reporting on the data that they gathered on several participants wasn't very informed. He reported on two people, saying that they were running 9:23 and 9:24 per mile and were on pace to both run 3:48 and change. Earlier in the broadcast he said that Meb was the greatest American marathon runner ever. O.K. that's his opinion, but I suppose he never heard of Shorter.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    we may be able to retire the trophy on this one. A headline today from GQ:

New York Marathon 2017: will the two-hour barrier be broken?
    In the race to break the mythical two-hour barrier for the marathon, adidas has created its fastest, lightest road racing shoe yet. So will the new Adizero Sub2 create history in New York this weekend?
    Only if somebody wearing them catches the Subway...; )

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    They gotta be kidding!

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    we may be able to retire the trophy on this one. A headline today from GQ:

New York Marathon 2017: will the two-hour barrier be broken?
    In the race to break the mythical two-hour barrier for the marathon, adidas has created its fastest, lightest road racing shoe yet. So will the new Adizero Sub2 create history in New York this weekend?

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    that sent me to Goggle right quick
    Nothing wrong with that I guess; depending on who you are goggling at

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    I loved Private Eye back in the day!

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    I see you as a Grauniad type.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I do the Daily Telegraph crossword every day....so there...
    Well, I do the NYT version, so I wouldn't put much stock in THAT

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    I do the Daily Telegraph crossword every day....so there...

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    This isn't really clueless writing about our sport--rather, it's the writing of a guy who seems to be challenged mathematically.

It's in the story about the history of the Chicago Marathon (now linked on the front page here), and it mentions the legendary run of Pheidippides in 490 B.C. and then refers to Lester Foreman, who won the first Chicago Marathon in 1977.

>>Foreman's run was separated from the person who brought the news from Marathon to Athens by nearly 1,500 years . . . <<
    Yes, but it is the type of mistake that is common. He subtracted a negative number (-490) and treated it as a positive one. I never 'understood' the mistake because the logic is so obvious but for those that do 'rote' arithmetic it occurs frequently (e.g., my son makes such sign errors all the time).

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X