• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    Not the only place that does:

<< By Michelle Gardner, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

Damien High graduate Zach Shinnick has had quite the track season.

He won the 400-meter hurdles at last month’s USA Junior National championships before a third-place finish in the event at the Pan American Junior Championships in Peru last week. The Pan American event also serves as the world championships for athletes 20 and under.>>
    I must be getting too old to follow this sport.

I saw Shinnick run 45.20 at Sacramento, but it failed to click that he broke the World Record. What's more, I don't even recall that he cleared any hurdles!
    Last edited by dj; 07-28-2017, 08:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Someone at the University of Iowa thinks that if you win an event at the Pan-Am Junior Championship, that makes you a "World Champion".

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...d-field-discus
    Not the only place that does:

<< By Michelle Gardner, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

Damien High graduate Zach Shinnick has had quite the track season.

He won the 400-meter hurdles at last month’s USA Junior National championships before a third-place finish in the event at the Pan American Junior Championships in Peru last week. The Pan American event also serves as the world championships for athletes 20 and under.>>

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Perhaps somebody at MileSplit reads this Message Board. The nonsense about qualifying for the World Championships has been removed from the linked article.

Leave a comment:

• Alan Shank
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Isn't it 6 kg?
    Yes. 13.2 pounds.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Pardon me while I ask a simple question. HS shot is 12 pounds, regular shot is 16. What is junior shot ?
    Isn't it 6 kg?

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Pardon me while I ask a simple question. HS shot is 12 pounds, regular shot is 16. What is junior shot ?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Here's a really bad one:

>>Dominant high school performer Jordan Geist, a future University of Arizona athlete and Knoch (Pa.) High graduate, wins his first Pan American Junior Championship with a toss of 22.02 meters, which qualifies him for the IAAF World Championships (entry standard is 20.50 meters).<<

Of course, the implement used in the Pan-Am Juniors was the junior implement, and the mark could not possibly be accepted as meeting the World Championships qualifying standard. And in any event, Geist finished 16th in the US Nationals, and would have no chance of making our team no matter how far he threw.

http://www.milesplit.com/articles/21...ionship-action
    also fails to mention it was a national HS Record

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Someone at the University of Iowa thinks that if you win an event at the Pan-Am Junior Championship, that makes you a "World Champion".

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...d-field-discus

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Here's a really bad one:

>>Dominant high school performer Jordan Geist, a future University of Arizona athlete and Knoch (Pa.) High graduate, wins his first Pan American Junior Championship with a toss of 22.02 meters, which qualifies him for the IAAF World Championships (entry standard is 20.50 meters).<<

Of course, the implement used in the Pan-Am Juniors was the junior implement, and the mark could not possibly be accepted as meeting the World Championships qualifying standard. And in any event, Geist finished 16th in the US Nationals, and would have no chance of making our team no matter how far he threw.

http://www.milesplit.com/articles/21...ionship-action

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    And the writer actually states Kenya has a shot at a medal in the relay. That claim probably came from him, not the Kenyan federation.

There was also an article from the Kenyan media I read during the World U18s where they speculated about the Kenyan javelin thrower's chances of taking gold. Considering he had the worst PB by far of all the entrants (63.68, compared to 66.24 for the next worst and 81.48 by the best of the bunch), I thought that was pretty far fetched. Too bad I don't know how to locate the article now.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    This has been mentioned in the Current Events board, but it really should be added here, just for the record:

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/spor...-championships

The article explains that Michael Saruni was dropped from the Kenya 800m team at the World Championships, but would be added to the 4x400m relay team. Just one problem--Kenya will not have 4x400m relay team at the World Championships. Even if the Federation official said it, the writer should have known better and called him on it.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    It's hard to beat "1500m hurdles." (The caption during the NBCSN coverage of Monaco DL.)

Compared to that, calling Obiri the Olympic silver medalist in 1500m looks innocuous.

Leave a comment:

• exdrake
    replied
    Were there dinosaurs in Kenya?

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied
    This is only peripherally about clueless writing / broadcasting but it does relate to speed. Tonight the CBS Evening News reported on a study concluding that the T-Rex wasn't very fast - that in Spielberg's Jurassic Park its speed was exaggerated. The scientific basis was the loads on its bones from running. O.K. as far as it goes. Then they claimed that it could only go at, I believe they reported, a fast walk, of about 12 miles an hour and left it at that. Nothing about how long a T-Rex could keep up that pace, obviously because they haven't any idea. Being cold blooded, it couldn't be very long, but not too many humans can keep up a 5 minute / mile pace for very long.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    Her time lead three under 53 minutes and six under 54 minutes, and her time of 52.64 was the fastest time ever run in North America." (emphasis added)
    Other than spelling 'led' incorrectly, she DID lead others under 53 minutes!! Far under.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X