Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN1965
    replied
    "Last month, Dalilah Muhammed ran the fastest time in the world, 52.64, over the 400 meter hurdles in the USATF Outdoors. Her time lead three under 53 minutes and six under 54 minutes, and her time of 52.64 was the fastest time ever run in North America." (emphasis added)

http://www.runblogrun.com/2017/07/de...uart-weir.html

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    This isn't exactly writing, but it certainly is clueless:

https://www.vividseats.com/sports/ia...2-2383122.html

This site is offering tickets for the August 12 morning session of the "IAAF World Indoor Track and Field Championships" in London.

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    re the above, maybe a slight mistake... Styron's time i think was 21.9
    Thanks for the correction. Roughly back then, the difference was about a half second faster in both races for the straight versus the curve.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Even Ato Boldon seemed confused about the effect of running the 200 on a straightaway, as though it should be slower than around a curve. Of course, those of us who were following track back in the 60s know that the straightaway record was always faster than the curve record. At my high school (Canoga Park, CA), we used to run everything out of the the "chute", even the mile, so, "one-turn 440", etc. My vague recollection is that Tommie Smith ran 19.5 on a straight.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    I'll guess Ato's never run a straight 200m and may be confused by it. There was one track I competed on which ran a 220y straight (I think it was Midwood Field for those from Brooklyn) and my best friend was our best sprinter. He told me he didn't like the straight 220y because it made the race seem longer than going around the turn. He never ran as fast on the straight as he did around the turn but it was a small sample of a couple of races and it was a cinder track. The rest of our meets were on synthetic tracks of some sort.

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Even Ato Boldon seemed confused about the effect of running the 200 on a straightaway, as though it should be slower than around a curve. Of course, those of us who were following track back in the 60s know that the straightaway record was always faster than the curve record. At my high school (Canoga Park, CA), we used to run everything out of the the "chute", even the mile, so, "one-turn 440", etc. My vague recollection is that Tommie Smith ran 19.5 on a straight.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    Why would anyone, especially a person as experienced as Boldon, think running on a curve would be faster?

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    re the above, maybe a slight mistake... Styron's time i think was 21.9

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    Your recollection is correct. Smith took Sime's straight record down by a half second. By the same token, the record for the low hurdles on the straight was 21.7 while the record on the curve was 22.5.

Leave a comment:

• Alan Shank
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    How about this:
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/o...t_boston_games

Apart from getting the stuff about the 200 meter "record" wrong (including the time of the former "record") this article twice refers to Allyson Felix's surname as Fox.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    How about this:
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/o...t_boston_games

Apart from getting the stuff about the 200 meter "record" wrong (including the time of the former "record") this article twice refers to Allyson Felix's surname as Fox.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by jc203 View Post
    As Bob Dylan said" Yes, I believe it could be easily done..."
    Actually, Dylan sings "Yes, I believe it can be VERY easily done...".

But if you continue that verse, Old Bobby offers up a potentially exciting venue for the NEXT Nike experiment!

Yes, I believe it can be very easily done
    You just put some bleachers out in the sun
    And have it down on Highway 61...!!

LOL

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    More from morning TV coverage: A news hostess today saying that Kipchoge must be kicking himself for not simply running 26 seconds faster.
    Apparently it would have been a small adjustment to run "just" one second faster for each of 26 consecutive miles.
    As Bob Dylan said" Yes, I believe it could be easily done..."

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    At the Musco Twilight college meet, the mPV's winner cleared 471/15.5 1/2. The BTN commentator gushed "incredible."

Leave a comment:

• Merner521
    replied
    I blame Spike Lee.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by jc203 View Post
    wear the new magic shoes
    It's all just an ad for those shoes . . . the "4% advantage!" If the runners even come close, it'll sell a lotta shoes! The rest is hokum.
    If all this was in conjunction with the Berlin Marathon, under good conditions, we'd all be a lot more receptive. The 2-barrier MIGHT go today, but none of us will buy it, given the advantages employed. Whatta waste for real road fans.

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    The media avalanche of bullshit about a sub-2 hour marathon has been duly noted on the home page, but I caught some morning TV propaganda today that was over the top silly.
    According to a breathless young woman jogging along while talking into the camera, the trick is merely to have 3 runners pace one another and (MOST IMPORTANTLY) wear the new magic shoes being manufactured by two of the leading sport footwear mega-corporations.
    Who knew?!?!?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X