• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandfman
    replied
    How about this:
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/o...t_boston_games

Apart from getting the stuff about the 200 meter "record" wrong (including the time of the former "record") this article twice refers to Allyson Felix's surname as Fox.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by jc203 View Post
    As Bob Dylan said" Yes, I believe it could be easily done..."
    Actually, Dylan sings "Yes, I believe it can be VERY easily done...".

But if you continue that verse, Old Bobby offers up a potentially exciting venue for the NEXT Nike experiment!

Yes, I believe it can be very easily done
    You just put some bleachers out in the sun
    And have it down on Highway 61...!!

LOL

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    More from morning TV coverage: A news hostess today saying that Kipchoge must be kicking himself for not simply running 26 seconds faster.
    Apparently it would have been a small adjustment to run "just" one second faster for each of 26 consecutive miles.
    As Bob Dylan said" Yes, I believe it could be easily done..."

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    At the Musco Twilight college meet, the mPV's winner cleared 471/15.5 1/2. The BTN commentator gushed "incredible."

Leave a comment:

• Merner521
    replied
    I blame Spike Lee.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    wear the new magic shoes
    It's all just an ad for those shoes . . . the "4% advantage!" If the runners even come close, it'll sell a lotta shoes! The rest is hokum.
    If all this was in conjunction with the Berlin Marathon, under good conditions, we'd all be a lot more receptive. The 2-barrier MIGHT go today, but none of us will buy it, given the advantages employed. Whatta waste for real road fans.

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    The media avalanche of bullshit about a sub-2 hour marathon has been duly noted on the home page, but I caught some morning TV propaganda today that was over the top silly.
    According to a breathless young woman jogging along while talking into the camera, the trick is merely to have 3 runners pace one another and (MOST IMPORTANTLY) wear the new magic shoes being manufactured by two of the leading sport footwear mega-corporations.
    Who knew?!?!?

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    The Guardian in the UK headlined today's London race with----
    SAMUEL Wanjiru wins.....!!!

Um, he rose from the dead??

ADD: It wasn't the Guardian newspaper, but some online version!
    Still, that headline...!!!!
    Last edited by aaronk; 04-23-2017, 11:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    Surfers would call Lonewolf a "Goofy Foot".

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I am right handed and must be exclusively right footed.. I never flopped but straddled off right foot, long jumped and preferred hop off right foot (results about the same whichever foot I started with).. but wanted left foot forward in starting blocks.. dunno if that is right footed or ???.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    I'm a total Lefty ( except golf) and as is indirectly stated above, we lefties use/used our right leg for takeoff.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    "jumping off his right leg" . . . including Fosbury himself.
    That REALLY threw me when I spent the winter of 68/69 teaching myself the flop. I assumed that right-handers were SUPPOSED to approach from the left and wasted two weeks trying to do that before it dawned on me that I was a left-footed jumper like MOST right-handers are. Once I switched it was clear sailing. The one thing that really helped me was a narrow avenue of approach indoors, so I had to turn sharply at the end, which forced me to have the correct lean - away from the bar. By the time we got outdoors in late March, I was pretty close to F's form, and had improved my HJ PR by over 6". I got lots of odd stares, but I was winning, so that was fine.

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    Just blundered onto this jewel in the Wiki entry for Igor Paklin:
    "Like all modern high jumpers, Paklin used the Fosbury Flop style, and he was the first to do so jumping off his right leg."

So true... except for maybe a million others including Fosbury himself.

Leave a comment:

• Master403
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I'm sure it was a typo that wasn't proofread. I just contacted Jill Geer at USATF to get it corrected
    Thank you. She has corrected the article.

I should note that other than the one glaring error, this was a well-written piece about a remarkable individual. I recommend it to anyone who is unfamiliar with Mr Douglas's story.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    I'm sure it was a typo that wasn't proofread. I just contacted Jill Geer at USATF to get it corrected

Leave a comment:

Working...
X