Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clueless writing about our sport

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    From today's IAAF report about a Half-Marathon in the Czech Republic (on front page)---

    They say the winner---Violah Jepchumba----set the Bahrain National Record with her 66:06.

    Then, later in the article, they mention she'd run 65:22 earlier this year----but NO mention of it being 44 seconds FASTER than her "National Record" of 66:06!!
    I guessing that she was a Kenyan at the time, and that her transfer of allegiance to Bahrain was approved after she ran the 65:22.

    Comment


    • How about this dumb NYTimes article on why Paris won the 2024...without once mentioning they were, after LA agreed to 2028, the only ones that wanted it.

      https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/17/w...024-paris.html

      Comment


      • This isn't really clueless writing about our sport--rather, it's the writing of a guy who seems to be challenged mathematically.

        It's in the story about the history of the Chicago Marathon (now linked on the front page here), and it mentions the legendary run of Pheidippides in 490 B.C. and then refers to Lester Foreman, who won the first Chicago Marathon in 1977.

        >>Foreman's run was separated from the person who brought the news from Marathon to Athens by nearly 1,500 years . . . <<

        Comment


        • Originally posted by tandfman View Post
          490 B.C. . . . Foreman's run was separated from the person who brought the news from Marathon to Athens by nearly 1,500 years . . . <<
          I have noticed that journalism in the internet age is often filled with these kinds of errors, which I attribute to a lack of a copy-editor. But this is the Chicage Effin Tribune. Shame. Shame on the editor.

          Comment


          • The Daily Mail is a rag to begin with, but how about calling Usain Bolt's absence from the IAAF's 10 AOY nominees a "snub"?!

            http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...t-snubbed.html

            Comment


            • The Daily Mail....truly one of the worse papers on the planet...

              Comment


              • I see you as a Grauniad type.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                  This isn't really clueless writing about our sport--rather, it's the writing of a guy who seems to be challenged mathematically.

                  It's in the story about the history of the Chicago Marathon (now linked on the front page here), and it mentions the legendary run of Pheidippides in 490 B.C. and then refers to Lester Foreman, who won the first Chicago Marathon in 1977.

                  >>Foreman's run was separated from the person who brought the news from Marathon to Athens by nearly 1,500 years . . . <<
                  Yes, but it is the type of mistake that is common. He subtracted a negative number (-490) and treated it as a positive one. I never 'understood' the mistake because the logic is so obvious but for those that do 'rote' arithmetic it occurs frequently (e.g., my son makes such sign errors all the time).

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by gm View Post
                    I see you as a Grauniad type.
                    I do the Daily Telegraph crossword every day....so there...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                      I do the Daily Telegraph crossword every day....so there...
                      Well, I do the NYT version, so I wouldn't put much stock in THAT

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by gm View Post
                        I see you as a Grauniad type.
                        that sent me to Goggle right quick

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by gh View Post
                          that sent me to Goggle right quick
                          I loved Private Eye back in the day!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by gh View Post
                            that sent me to Goggle right quick
                            Nothing wrong with that I guess; depending on who you are goggling at

                            Comment


                            • we may be able to retire the trophy on this one. A headline today from GQ:

                              New York Marathon 2017: will the two-hour barrier be broken?
                              In the race to break the mythical two-hour barrier for the marathon, adidas has created its fastest, lightest road racing shoe yet. So will the new Adizero Sub2 create history in New York this weekend?

                              Comment


                              • They gotta be kidding!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X