Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrJay
    replied
    Ouch! (You might want to soften that with a smiley-face emoticon....gh works pretty hard at getting things right.)

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Clueless writing about our sport is when, in the just-received September issue, on page 10, TRACK & FIELD NEWS ( !!! ) proclaims in a headline,

" World-Leading 43.74 for Merritt "

As Alexander Pope said, " To err is human, to forgive, divine. "
    Last edited by dukehjsteve; 08-08-2016, 12:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
    One of our Aussie articles about 'who to watch in athletics at the Games' a week or so back included Bolt and the usual suspects. It also said our discus thrower, Benn Harradine, would not be a medal favourite but would be interesting to watch as he wears all kinds of bizarre body-suits in competition and would be interesting to see what he chose for Rio..

Ummmm...
    They've said the same things about Maggie Vessey and other women!!
    Remember Flojo's outfits?

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    One of our Aussie articles about 'who to watch in athletics at the Games' a week or so back included Bolt and the usual suspects. It also said our discus thrower, Benn Harradine, would not be a medal favourite but would be interesting to watch as he wears all kinds of bizarre body-suits in competition and would be interesting to see what he chose for Rio..

Ummmm...

Leave a comment:

• cubehead
    replied
    Who really cares...it's something called the Rare Disease Report...its not The New York Times...do you spend all day looking for obscure references?

Besides it's not at that link anyways..I had to search for it. And that was a waste of time.
    Last edited by cubehead; 08-03-2016, 02:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Why would Merritt say that?
    Well, to be honest, he IS on the team . . . as an alternate.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by cubehead View Post
    Merritt most likely told them he had.
    Why would Merritt say that?

Leave a comment:

• cubehead
    replied
    Merritt most likely told them he had.

Besides why would anyone care at such an obscure site.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by cubehead View Post
    Really? I don't see that at all...and besides it was published June 28.
    I e-mailed the site and they replied promptly and the article is gone. It was dated Aug 2, and DID say he had made the team.

Leave a comment:

• cubehead
    replied
    Really? I don't see that at all...and besides it was published June 28.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    This may be the best of all:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...383170841.html

It's a long interview with Aries Merritt, and it's all about how he's going to Rio to defend his Olympic title. Uh, the last time I looked, Merritt finished 4th in the Trials and as far as I know, nobody ahead of him has withdrawn.

A hint to what may have fooled the utterly clueless writer of this piece of shit can be found in this sentence: "Despite the odds, he triumphed to make a comeback that proves the athlete in him is ready for another gold medal." The words "triumphed to make a comeback" are highlighted, and linked to an AP story that mentions a great race that Merritt ran at the Trials. But if you read that story, you see that it referred to LaShawn Merritt in the semifinals of the 200. No mention of Aries Merritt at all.
    Here's an article that states flatly that Aries Merritt made the team and will run in Rio.

http://www.raredr.com/news/aries-merritt-2016-olympics

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by jc203 View Post
    I'm pretty certain the author never saw a guy named Holm compete.
    Or McPherson, all 5'4 of her.

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    The WSJ piece linked on the main page today (http://graphics.wsj.com/Olympic-Bodies/) presents remarkably inane, simple-minded, just plain clueless descriptions of the ideal high jumper.
    The name Barshim comes to mind as ideal, but
    I'm pretty certain the author never saw a guy named Holm compete.
    Last edited by jc203; 07-31-2016, 12:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Here is another article, originally appearing in the Eugene Register-Guard, from 2015 that describes more recent events, including a new passive investor.

http://portlanddaze.com/former-orego...egister-guard/

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    This thread got me curious as to who owns athletic.net. Poking around the site, it seems that it may be owned by, or at least have some affiliation with, runnerspace. But who owns that? And I don't just mean the name of the corporate entity that owns the site. Who owns those corporations? Anybody know?
    Runnerspace was founded by Ross Krempley (former Oregon runner), but it is not clear whether there is some investor/partner behind it. As impressive as their growth has been (Athletic.net, DyeStat, USATF.tv, ArmoryTrack.com, AthleticsCanada.tv) its owners seem to keep a remarkably low profile.

In this 2008 interview Krempley provides some background on how the company got started, and he indicates that his father loaned him some money. He also dismisses some myths (that probably still exist today) that Nike and Vin Lananna are somehow involved.

http://preracejitters.blogspot.com/2...interview.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X