Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Chinese teen finishes 100m sprint in 12.07 seconds, video breaks the internet

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-11-1...ceY/index.html

Fifteen-year-old Lu Qirui from Hangzhou City, east China's Zhejiang Province, has become an overnight social media sensation after a video showed her finishing a 100-meter sprint in an astonishing 12.07 seconds. These numbers are good enough to perch her on the No. 8 spot at the national-level championships.
    Huh? Astonishing? For a 15 year-old?

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Clueless headline writing:

Headline - Miller-Uibo attacks WADA over Naser’s acquittal in doping case

WADA had absolutely nothing to do with the Naser case.

https://guardian.ng/sport/miller-uib...n-doping-case/
    Even worse, the story itself correctly indicates that in her Instagram post Miller-Uibo says she is pleased that WADA may be considering an appeal to have the Naser decision reversed. How the headline writer chose to conclude SMU was attacking WADA is a real head-scratcher.
    Last edited by wamego relays champ; 10-30-2020, 04:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Clueless headline writing:

Headline - Miller-Uibo attacks WADA over Naser’s acquittal in doping case

WADA had absolutely nothing to do with the Naser case.

https://guardian.ng/sport/miller-uib...n-doping-case/

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    This -- https://twitter.com/ChrisChavez/stat...243715/photo/1 -- shows the results I was working from when I wrote that brief.

ElbSJ68XEAMBR9I?format=png&name=small.png
    Last edited by gm; 10-30-2020, 04:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    Got me again! You're the best at that. 😀 I will confess to being careless. Clueless? OK, sure, why not.
    Look at it this way: you were off by 0 seconds!

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    USATF is guilty of this one. The story is now linked on the front page is from the USATF website; it's a report of the Michigan Pro Half-Marathon, which was held yesterday. The story includes this:

The problem is that in the story, there's a link to the official results of the race, and those results show Lara beating Day for second place, with both timed in 62.17.

Got me again! You're the best at that. 😀

I will confess to being careless. Clueless? OK, sure, why not.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    USATF is guilty of this one. The story is now linked on the front page is from the USATF website; it's a report of the Michigan Pro Half-Marathon, which was held yesterday. The story includes this:

Morgan Pearson won a very close men’s race in his debut at the distance, clocking 62:15 to hold off Tyler Day (62:16), Frank Lara (62:17) and Scott Fauble (62:18).
    The problem is that in the story, there's a link to the official results of the race, and those results show Lara beating Day for second place, with both timed in 62.17.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

My HS track coach would rattle off repetition splits as 66,67,68 and if there was a straggler he'd say something like "6:30pm". Sometimes he'd use a date. "Smith Nov.4th!"
    I had no idea I was your high school coach!

Leave a comment:

• Helen S
    replied
    I always enjoyed being able to read out the split “7:11 - your favorite convenience store!”

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    My HS track coach would rattle off repetition splits as 66,67,68 and if there was a straggler he'd say something like "6:30pm". Sometimes he'd use a date. "Smith Nov.4th!"
    In a workout in college we did 4x400 with plenty of rest, but I was toast on the last one and struggled in DFL. The event coach (not Payton Jordan) looked at his watch as I staggered past him and cheerfully said, "Well, at least you finished today."

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    A chuckle-worthy error in the results from the women's 5000 at last night's distance festival at Icahn Stadium:

1 Berkson, Maddy Unattached 4:16 p.m.

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    A chuckle-worthy error in the results from the women's 5000 at last night's distance festival at Icahn Stadium:

So would you convert to 16:16.00 ?

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    picky, picky....
    You're a High Jumper - you should know better!!

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Doesn't work so good for the field events.
    picky, picky....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X