Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clueless writing about our sport

i know of no end of people who refer to synthetic tracks as tartan (lower-case).

Wiki backs me up

<< Because the "Tartan" brand name was the first and was widely successful in its time, the name Tartan has incorrectly become a genericized trademark for an all-weather running track.[1][2][3]>>

I don't call that clueless writing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      i know of no end of people who refer to synthetic tracks as tartan (lower-case).
      A related case: using the word "dirt" for all non-synthetic surfaces. :cry:

Comment

these days, in everyday conversation I'd definitely use "dirt"; and I guess I'd use "synthetic," although I certainly used tartan as my go-to for years after they quit being a major player.

Comment

My default is "cinder".

Comment

I think "Tartan" is to track as "Kleenex" is to tissue.

Comment

What about the hyperbole rolled out when a footballer shows a slight burst of speed?:

http://deadspin.com/gareth-bale-is-the- ... 1564008379

"Fastest man alive"??
              "Olympics speed"?? :roll: :roll:

Comment

Weird, I've rarely heard a track referred to as tartan. Usually it's "all-weather" or "rubber". Anything not "rubber" is probably "dirt"

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                  Weird, I've rarely heard a track referred to as tartan. Usually it's "all-weather" or "rubber". Anything not "rubber" is probably "dirt"

In the infancy of non-cinder tracks in the very early 60's, " all-weather" was the name of choice.

Comment

AS, when I saw Gareth Bale's goal, one of my thoughts was wondering what he could do on the track (and for how long). Maybe the most amazing thing about it was that the ref didn't whistle a foul, but let the play continue on. And to think that he'll probably never get to play in the World Cup or the Euros because Wales just isn't good enough.

Comment

Here's a beauty about that neophyte Duane Solomon, from U-T San Diego, reporting on Mt SAC:

"Duane Solomon hasn't been to the Olympics, but he won the men's 800 in a meet record 1:43.88, which also put him in the world lead."

Possibly the best mark of the meet was seriously under-reported in all the Eaton-hype. Also nice to see Sowinski finally starting to translate all that indoor 600 prowess to outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                        Originally posted by polevaultpower

In the infancy of non-cinder tracks in the very early 60's, " all-weather" was the name of choice.
                        Exactly. I have to laugh out loud at "rubber" and "dirt" as neither one has much of anything to do with reality. "Rubber" tracks make me think of Fred MacMurray and "Flubber"; "dirt" brings up images of HS meets in the backwaters of 1930s Oklahoma.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                          [Exactly. I have to laugh out loud at "rubber" and "dirt" as neither one has much of anything to do with reality. "Rubber" tracks make me think of Fred MacMurray and "Flubber"; "dirt" brings up images of HS meets in the backwaters of 1930s Oklahoma.
                          Oh, dirt tracks were very real.
                          Having been born and reared in backwater Oklahoma, I can attest that HS tracks, even into the 1940s, were indeed raw native "dirt, scraped out by the county road grader with lanes marked by dragging a 2 x 12 with appropriately space spikes behind a tractor. Overflow from the trailing edge of the grader blade created the "curb". Consequently, the tracks tended to shrink over the years....made for some fast one-lap times.

Comment

I know! That's why I used the phrasing I did. I personally ran on a true dirt track in the late 1960s. My consistent point is that "dirt" is a weird and inappropriate generic term for non-all-weather surfaces--dirt has nothing to do with the structure or reality of clay, cinder, or grass tracks…and NO significant national or international-level meet after maybe 1925 was actually on a "dirt" surface.

Comment

NO significant national or international-level meet after maybe 1925 was actually on a "dirt" surface.
                              This doesn't pass the smell taste simply because I ran on some very good 'cinder' tracks in the late 60s that were indistinguishable from 'dirt', i.e., the cinders were so fine as to be easily called dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                                NO significant national or international-level meet after maybe 1925 was actually on a "dirt" surface.
                                This doesn't pass the smell taste simply because I ran on some very good 'cinder' tracks in the late 60s that were indistinguishable from 'dirt', i.e., the cinders were so fine as to be easily called dirt.
                                A) cinder is still cinder, not soil
                                B) And which "significant national or international-level meets" were they?

Comment

Working...
                                X