replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    deliberately resort to vernacular.
    Whachu talkin bout??!!

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Re the above post by bambam, many might recall my posting here about 6 years ago, when I started officiating at Indiana University, and was horrified to see a banner on the wall at Gladstein Field House ( IU's indoor track facility ) honoring Milt Campbell, in the "Decathalon." Someone must have read my posting, as within a month, a corrected banner was on the wall.
    At the Wild Duck in Eugene (beer joint near Hayward Field) they have a signpost with arrows pointing to all the Pac-12 schools, including..... STANDFORD! (although I get the feeling that might have been a tongue-in-cheek shot at the Trees)

Leave a comment:

• Charley Shaffer
    replied
    No disrespect intended for any athlete, but on July 22 in the NYT, Lindsay Crouse wrote, "Lauren Fleshman was the top female collegiate distance runner in American history."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/24/sp...n-goes-on.html

Isn't the reporter ignoring Suzy Favor, who had more individual NCAA Outdoor titles, more individual NCAA Indoor titles, and more T&FN US Top 10 rankings while in college? Or perhaps Crouse doesn't know that the 1500m is a "distance" race.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I suspect that much/most of the occasional lapses of grammar/punctuation/spelling on here is by people who know better but just want to get it posted or deliberately resort to vernacular.

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied
    Somewhat related was a comment that I heard on the BEIN Sports London broadcast during the first day. Of course every distance and height was reported by the announcers metrically. Then one of them gave the remark that something or another was either made or missed by "inches," which gave me a silent chuckle.

Leave a comment:

• odelltrclan
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    people will judge you on how intelligent you appear to be. Spell correctly, use good grammar and vocabulary - people will assume two things about you: you are intelligent and well educated.
    And you are right on. Not wanting to be a judge, but that is exactly my reaction when I see poorly worded and /or misspelled documents, emails, etc. One has to wonder how bad an influence texting has on the rising generations.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Unfortunately, the number of people who care about such things seems to be diminishing.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Even as a TOE, I can't get too worked up over spelling mistakes except in formal typed essays (use your spellcheck, nitwit!). On the other hand, as I tell my students often: people will judge you on how intelligent you appear to be. Spell correctly, use good grammar and vocabulary - people will assume two things about you: you are intelligent and well educated.

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Read all about it:

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I believe is was Mark Twain who questioned the literacy of anyone who knew only one way to spell a word.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Men's Decathalon
    While we're on that, can we all please correct the MILLIONS of people who say 'ath-a-lete'. It's 'ath-lete' !!!!

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Re the above post by bambam, many might recall my posting here about 6 years ago, when I started officiating at Indiana University, and was horrified to see a banner on the wall at Gladstein Field House ( IU's indoor track facility ) honoring Milt Campbell, in the "Decathalon." Someone must have read my posting, as within a month, a corrected banner was on the wall.
    Last edited by dukehjsteve; 07-24-2016, 02:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Fun 2 days at O'Hare Airport trying to get out of Chicago. Weather delays grounded all flights after 8 PM on Thursday evening. left Friday night, but had to get a flight to a city 2 states over and then rent-a-car to get home. No hotels available. Oh well, enough on that.

While wandering around O'Hare for about 40 hours, I saw numerous United Airline signs promoting our Olympic athletes. Most had an Olympic athlete with a pilot, a flight attendant, gate agent, ground worker, etc. All gave the name of the United employee, with their job title, and the name of the Olympian, with their sport.

Olympians included were Missy Franklin (swimming), Kerri Walsh (beach volleyball), Carli Lloyd (soccer), Simone Biles (gymnastics)

Yes, T&F was represented as well. There, for all to see, in multiple places, it proudly proclaimed:

Ashton Eaton
    Men's Decathalon

Wanted to puke.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Here's another one where it's the headline writer who's clueless:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=11677907

In case they realize they've screwed up and change it, please believe me--I'm looking at a headline that says:

>>Athletics: No room in Kenyan Olympic team for Bekele<<

The story correctly notes that it's the Ethiopian team that has excluded Bekele.
    Indeed they did!

Athletics: No room in Ethiopian Olympic team for Bekele

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Here's another one where it's the headline writer who's clueless:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=11677907

In case they realize they've screwed up and change it, please believe me--I'm looking at a headline that says:

>>Athletics: No room in Kenyan Olympic team for Bekele<<

The story correctly notes that it's the Ethiopian team that has excluded Bekele.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X