replied
    Originally posted by cubehead View Post
    Merritt most likely told them he had.
    Why would Merritt say that?

Leave a comment:

• cubehead
    replied
    Merritt most likely told them he had.

Besides why would anyone care at such an obscure site.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by cubehead View Post
    Really? I don't see that at all...and besides it was published June 28.
    I e-mailed the site and they replied promptly and the article is gone. It was dated Aug 2, and DID say he had made the team.

Leave a comment:

• cubehead
    replied
    Really? I don't see that at all...and besides it was published June 28.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    This may be the best of all:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...383170841.html

It's a long interview with Aries Merritt, and it's all about how he's going to Rio to defend his Olympic title. Uh, the last time I looked, Merritt finished 4th in the Trials and as far as I know, nobody ahead of him has withdrawn.

A hint to what may have fooled the utterly clueless writer of this piece of shit can be found in this sentence: "Despite the odds, he triumphed to make a comeback that proves the athlete in him is ready for another gold medal." The words "triumphed to make a comeback" are highlighted, and linked to an AP story that mentions a great race that Merritt ran at the Trials. But if you read that story, you see that it referred to LaShawn Merritt in the semifinals of the 200. No mention of Aries Merritt at all.
    Here's an article that states flatly that Aries Merritt made the team and will run in Rio.

http://www.raredr.com/news/aries-merritt-2016-olympics

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by jc203 View Post
    I'm pretty certain the author never saw a guy named Holm compete.
    Or McPherson, all 5'4 of her.

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    The WSJ piece linked on the main page today (http://graphics.wsj.com/Olympic-Bodies/) presents remarkably inane, simple-minded, just plain clueless descriptions of the ideal high jumper.
    The name Barshim comes to mind as ideal, but
    I'm pretty certain the author never saw a guy named Holm compete.
    Last edited by jc203; 07-31-2016, 12:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Here is another article, originally appearing in the Eugene Register-Guard, from 2015 that describes more recent events, including a new passive investor.

http://portlanddaze.com/former-orego...egister-guard/

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    This thread got me curious as to who owns athletic.net. Poking around the site, it seems that it may be owned by, or at least have some affiliation with, runnerspace. But who owns that? And I don't just mean the name of the corporate entity that owns the site. Who owns those corporations? Anybody know?
    Runnerspace was founded by Ross Krempley (former Oregon runner), but it is not clear whether there is some investor/partner behind it. As impressive as their growth has been (Athletic.net, DyeStat, USATF.tv, ArmoryTrack.com, AthleticsCanada.tv) its owners seem to keep a remarkably low profile.

In this 2008 interview Krempley provides some background on how the company got started, and he indicates that his father loaned him some money. He also dismisses some myths (that probably still exist today) that Nike and Vin Lananna are somehow involved.

http://preracejitters.blogspot.com/2...interview.html

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Depending upon where you look, Ross Krempley is variously described as the CEO, founder, president, and owner of RunnerSpace.com, which acquired Athletic.net last fall:

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    This thread got me curious as to who owns athletic.net. Poking around the site, it seems that it may be owned by, or at least have some affiliation with, runnerspace. But who owns that? And I don't just mean the name of the corporate entity that owns the site. Who owns those corporations? Anybody know?

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    When I cannot attend my grandson's meets in person, which happens a lot, Athletic.net or PT Timing are my savior.

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    I'd have no issue if Athletic.net labelled the lists "Best Marks Since (insert a date)" but the title "School Records" is simply absurd.

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Originally posted by jc203 View Post
    Less writing than merely listing, there is an entire website called Athletic.net that is nearly completely wrong.
    The site purports to have 20-deep lists of "school records" for literally thousands of high schools and colleges nationwide.
    In fact, the marks listed are apparently based on random results that have been reported in the last few years, oblivious to any previous (or unreported) performances.
    Athletic.net may be useful for some things, but clearly they should not purport to display historical records when their database only goes back about 10 years.

As you may know, Athletic.net is under contract with USATF as the exclusive event registration provider for all USATF Championship and applicable feeder meets and it is this contract that seems to be at the center of the USATF lawsuit against the Youth Executive Committee. According to the complaint, Athletic.net is claiming that USATF is in breach of the agreement because the Youth Executive Committee instructed youth meet organizers to use a different meet registration system.

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    Less writing than merely listing, there is an entire website called Athletic.net that is nearly completely wrong.
    The site purports to have 20-deep lists of "school records" for literally thousands of high schools and colleges nationwide.
    In fact, the marks listed are apparently based on random results that have been reported in the last few years, oblivious to any previous (or unreported) performances.
    Some old marks are included, maybe because an alum takes the time to figure out how to submit his own efforts to the editors.
    Take a look at your own HS or college list for all the eye-opening omissions!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X