Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clueless writing about our sport

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Here's a good one:

    >> Shalene Flanagan had an off day. If you’re not an especially lively running fan you may know the 36-year-old Flanagan, the American woman who’s the reigning New York City Marathon champion and basically the Usain Bolt of distance running. <<

    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the...thon-standards

    I'm not sure why Golf Digest would be covering the Boston Marathon, but they should stick to golf if they think that a runner who's never held a World Record and never won an Olympic or World Championship race could be considered the Usain Bolt of distance running.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by tandfman View Post
      Here's a good one:

      >> Shalene Flanagan had an off day. If you’re not an especially lively running fan you may know the 36-year-old Flanagan, the American woman who’s the reigning New York City Marathon champion and basically the Usain Bolt of distance running. <<

      https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the...thon-standards

      I'm not sure why Golf Digest would be covering the Boston Marathon, but they should stick to golf if they think that a runner who's never held a World Record and never won an Olympic or World Championship race could be considered the Usain Bolt of distance running.
      Well, as an editor of that magazine, I also have no idea why they are discussing the marathon, unless it relates to the length of rounds anymore.

      I used to write a column for them on medical issues, and for some reason I've been listed as the medical editor for years, although I haven't written anything for them in over 10 years.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Erickem
        And all the buffoons pronounce it

        de-cath-a-lete.
        And prior to Rio, many airports showed Ashton Eaton in ads for United Airlines, noting that he competed in the Decathalon.

        Comment


        • To show that is endemic, especially with copy editors, I saw an obituary this AM of a US Olympian (swimmer), noting that "Paul Bearers included her brother, ... "

          Comment


          • Alas, I fear that copy editors are a dying breed.

            (I suppose we should be thankful that there are still newspapers.)

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
              To show that is endemic, especially with copy editors, I saw an obituary this AM of a US Olympian (swimmer), noting that "Paul Bearers included her brother, ... "
              Well,..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bearer

              Comment


              • But I agree. The Louisville Courier Journal was a stellar paper when I was growing up in the 1970s. Gannett bought it in the 1980s and it's gone steadily downhill ever since. I get it that declining circulation and (probably) declining advertising revenue have led to cost-cutting measures at newspapers, hence smaller and maybe lower quality staffs. It's just another sign of the times.

                Comment


                • From today's NY Times.
                  "Russia remains one of track and field’s powerhouse nations; only the United States and Kenya have won more world championship medals."

                  That was then this is now.
                  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/s...T.nav=top-news

                  Comment


                  • Not writing but MLB broadcasting: Delino DeShields Jr. is the son of Delino DeShields and Tisha (Michelle) Milligan (Elliot) who competed for Tennessee in the early 1990's in the Pentathlon. I can't say I'm all that familiar with her but it was mentioned during the broadcast that she competed in the Olympics for the US.

                    I don't blame the broadcaster, who was either Sean McDonough or Dan Schulman who sound alike to me, but the researcher.

                    I'm not sure she even competed in the US Trials in any year (the great T&FN link of US Trials results has not been activated yet) but we see this from time to time when it is said or written of anyone who put a track uniform on was an Olympian or almost an Olympian.

                    Comment


                    • I think it's great that the IAAF is celebrating Global Running Day on June 6, more so since one of the runs will be in my hometown, Los Angeles. What isn't so great is that the photo associated with the Los Angeles link is of the city of Dallas: IAAF Run 24-1 Los Angeles.

                      Dallas skyline.jpg

                      Here is L.A.

                      LA skyline.JPG

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                        Not writing but MLB broadcasting: Delino DeShields Jr. is the son of Delino DeShields and Tisha (Michelle) Milligan (Elliot) who competed for Tennessee in the early 1990's in the Pentathlon. I can't say I'm all that familiar with her but it was mentioned during the broadcast that she competed in the Olympics for the US.
                        ...

                        I'm not sure she even competed in the US Trials in any year (the great T&FN link of US Trials results has not been activated yet) but we see this from time to time when it is said or written of anyone who put a track uniform on was an Olympian or almost an Olympian.
                        The Richard Hymans work on the history of the USOT can still be accessed on the USATF site, and Milligan is not found.
                        https://www.usatf.org/statistics/cha...mpicTrials.pdf

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                          Not writing but MLB broadcasting: Delino DeShields Jr. is the son of Delino DeShields and Tisha (Michelle) Milligan (Elliot) who competed for Tennessee in the early 1990's in the Pentathlon. I can't say I'm all that familiar with her but it was mentioned during the broadcast that she competed in the Olympics for the US.
                          Best I could see from her in a championship was an 8th place finish in the 1991 NCAA Heptathlon (5228).

                          Comment


                          • tried to search AAU Junior Olympics but it does not seem to have a working results archive that far back
                            http://www.aaujrogames.org/Results/ResultArchives.aspx

                            To the clueless the Junior part can be insignificant

                            The label I like is "training for the Olympics'
                            My pre-teen mind was indeed training for the OGs. The reality of my 23.5 220 HS PB indicates the folly of that dream.
                            Tom Hyland:
                            "squack and wineturtle get it"

                            Comment


                            • The USATF press release for tonight's Distance Classic at Occidental College lists the entrants for the men's 800m.

                              "Centrowitz, the first American to win a 1500m Olympic gold medal since 1908, is currently slated to run both the 800m and 1500m. In the quarter-mile race, Boris Berian, a 2016 Olympian and 2017 World Indoor Champion, will toe the line with Rio Olympian Charles Jock and 2018 IAAF World Indoors team member Craig Engles."

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by br View Post
                                In the quarter-mile race, Boris Berian
                                Well, he WILL run a quarter-mile, it's just that the timer will give him a time at his 400m 'split'.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X