Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clueless writing about our sport

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Sprinter Alysia Montaño criticized the company in another New York Times piece on May 12 for failing to ensure maternity leave or pay athletes during pregnancy."

    Ummm... I didn't know Montano was a sprinter...

    https://sports.yahoo.com/allyson-fel...011105472.html

    Comment


    • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
      Ummm... I didn't know Montano was a sprinter...
      Then you've never seen her first lap in a major meet! It's usually 55. That's haulin'.

      Comment


      • Then I guess Nick Symmonds would qualify too.

        The Outsports article posted recently to the front page (and referenced in the another thread about a Semenya-related video) described Symmonds as
        Olympic sprinter and renowned LGBTQ ally

        Comment


        • Recent book I read on the Irish-American Athletic Club – was OK, but the author, who appears to be British / Irish, does not appear to know much about track & field. For the most egregious example, he discusses in the intro how he will list the marks – all from the 1900-1914 era, and all measured Imperially. A typical listing is 38:8:25, which is the style he chose. That equals 38-8¼, or 38’8¼”, in standard nomenclature. Makes it difficult to read, and I have no idea where he came up with that.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
            A typical listing is 38:8:25, which is the style he chose. That equals 38-8¼, or 38’8¼”, in standard nomenclature. Makes it difficult to read, and I have no idea where he came up with that.
            Some CAD software uses (or used to use) the colon after the foot element to enter data but I thought the inch/partial were then delineated by a period as you would expect.

            I'm not sure why he would reuse the colon (or any symbol) because, as you note, it's too easy to get confused. Just be greatful he didn't need to use miles:yards:feet:inchesartial, then you'd really be confused!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
              Recent book I read on the Irish-American Athletic Club – was OK, but the author, who appears to be British / Irish, does not appear to know much about track & field. For the most egregious example, he discusses in the intro how he will list the marks – all from the 1900-1914 era, and all measured Imperially. A typical listing is 38:8:25, which is the style he chose. That equals 38-8¼, or 38’8¼”, in standard nomenclature. Makes it difficult to read, and I have no idea where he came up with that.
              I noted that in the several Middle School meets I attended this spring that the board judge called out imperial measurement, the student recorders used a decimal system:
              18' 1 1/4" = 18.1.25..actually neater than fractions.

              Comment


              • It may be neater, but nobody talks that way.

                Comment


                • Here's one in the clueless headline writers category:

                  >>France-based high jumper Sawe eager to soar farthest in Morocco<<

                  https://www.nation.co.ke/sports/athl...bgq/index.html

                  Comment


                  • In talking up Jenny Simpson prior to the women's 1500 at the Rabat Diamond League meet on the Olympic Chanel they showed a graphic of American medalists in the event since 1983, when the first World's Championship was held. Steve Scott was ignored, and now that I think about it, so was Jim Spivey.

                    Comment


                    • This one really had me scratching my head in disbelief. It's the CBC story on last night's Harry Jerome Classic. It mentions the winners of only two races and has quotes from both, but winning times for neither!

                      https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...2019-1.5184425

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                        This one really had me scratching my head in disbelief. It's the CBC story on last night's Harry Jerome Classic. It mentions the winners of only two races and has quotes from both, but winning times for neither!

                        https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...2019-1.5184425
                        Seems to have been updated now.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                          Seems to have been updated now.
                          They've added a bunch of new stuff, but they still don't have Phylicia George's winning time in the 100 hurdles.

                          Comment


                          • Meanwhile in today's RG....

                            Comment


                            • How the mighty have fallen . . .

                              Comment


                              • When I first saw that, I thought it was a typo by the headline writer. But the same error is found in the story itself. Yes, clueless.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X