• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LopenUupunut
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Here's a good one, from the "Daily Nation", linked on the front page:

(This was in the "In Summary", on the left edge)
    o Final day of final AK weekend meet promises fireworks at Kipchoge Stadium

o It was on the same track in the Principality that the policeman posted a 1,500m PB of 3:26.69 last July, a mark just 0.69 seconds shy of Hicham El Guerrouj’s world record.
    That's just a sloppy summary, not clueless writing as such; Elias Makori seems perfectly aware it was in Monaco.

Leave a comment:

• Alan Shank
    replied
    Here's a good one, from the "Daily Nation", linked on the front page:

(This was in the "In Summary", on the left edge)
    o Final day of final AK weekend meet promises fireworks at Kipchoge Stadium

o It was on the same track in the Principality that the policeman posted a 1,500m PB of 3:26.69 last July, a mark just 0.69 seconds shy of Hicham El Guerrouj’s world record.

Hmmmm. I saw this race, and I could have sworn I was in Monaco!!

Elias Makori is the author.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

Leave a comment:

• Alan Shank
    replied
    In an article linked from the front page, there's a large photo of a Ukrainian woman with the caption: "...Ukraine's Anastasia Mokhnyuk looks at her time in the 200..."

Across her chest, we see:
    TOYOTA
    FODOROVA
    BEIJING 2015

I guess all those Slavic names look the same to some people.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    I stumbled upon a MaxPreps list of the 10 most untouchable HS records compiled in 2011. For the most part it is reasonable (although it notably omits Nehemiah's 12.9) but it includes the remarkably mis-informed passage:

"Kim Gallagher and Mary Decker (later Mary Decker-Slaney) had some sensational battles starting as age group runners so they toughened each other up until both were among the best in the nation by the time they were seniors."

Leave a comment:

• cubehead
    replied
    I have to wonder what is the point of this thread anymore. It was a good laugh once but making fun of someone calling the weight throw the hammer seems pretty silly when the sport is begging to be talked about. Obviously the guy knows nothing about track but still went out of his way to write something about the guy. And here it is a big laugh. Ha ha.
    Last edited by cubehead; 03-14-2016, 02:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X