X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by br View Post
    Wanting to see if the IOC had a story about the passing of Peter Snell, I went to their website and typed Snell's name in the search engine. When I got to his page, they had his portrait picture and a larger action shot. Unfortunately, the action shot is of Snell's teammate, John Davies, the 1964 bronze medalist in the 1500m.

https://www.olympic.org/peter-snell

[ATTACH=CONFIG]423[/ATTACH]
    I contacted the people I work with at the IOC in the Olympic Studies Centre and they informed me this AM that this has been corrected.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    That struck me odd too. Once an Olympian, always an Olympian.
    Even if that were not true, it seems odd to call an active athlete, who is very likely to make the Olympic team again next year, a "former" Olympian.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    FORMER Olympian???? He happens to be the reigning Olympic champion!
    That struck me odd too. Once an Olympian, always an Olympian.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    I suppose he's a former Olympian if you are only an Olympian during the period of the Games itself!

I think the general view on here is that you are once an Olympian always an Olympian. After you retire you could be described as a former Olympic shot putter/sprinter/swimmer/gymnast etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Holy shit! This goes way up on the clueless list.

Headline:

Former Olympian Crouser joins men’s track & field
    Story lede:

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Former Olympian Ryan Crouser has joined the Razorbacks as a volunteer assistant for the men’s track & field program.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Clueless headline writer:

>>Olympic mile, 800-meter champion Peter Snell dead at 80<<

Gee, I didn't know they ran the mile in the Olympics, did you?

The story has it right.

https://arunachaltimes.in/index.php/...ll-dead-at-80/

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    looks like br posted at 12:11 and bam responded at 12:12

br then removed his original post and resposted at 12:13 (probably without knowing bam had respodned)

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    I think this is a new wrinkle here. bambam's response to br's pos, above, is time-stamped one minute BEFORE br's post. How is that possible?

Leave a comment:

• br
    replied
    Wanting to see if the IOC had a story about the passing of Peter Snell, I went to their website and typed Snell's name in the search engine. When I got to his page, they had his portrait picture and a larger action shot. Unfortunately, the action shot is of Snell's teammate, John Davies, the 1964 bronze medalist in the 1500m.

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 11.57.54 AM.jpg

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by br

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422[/ATTACH]
    WHy does that not surprise me?

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Discuss throw and staple chess!
    1. DT is for people who only talk a great game.
    2. SC is for people who work in an office with only one stapler and have to out-maneuver fellow workers to get it.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied

Discuss throw and staple chess! I've seen the first bit of cluelessness before, but not the second. Staple chess? That boggles.

I suspect some unfortunate spell-checking lol

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    A stadium in Nepal is preparing to host the South Asian Games. According to a report in a local newspaper,

Along with football, hammer throw around the track and field, discuss throw, javelin throw, pole vault, shot put, high jump, long jump, and staple chess are scheduled to be played on the ground.
    Discuss throw and staple chess! I've seen the first bit of cluelessness before, but not the second. Staple chess? That boggles.

https://myrepublica.nagariknetwork.c...ng-in-pokhara/

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by Master403 View Post
    Got out my microscope, and you're right. Scandalous. I'm embarrassed to say I watched the match, and did not catch this egregious error. I hope CD did not miss it (2-0, 2-3, 3-3) while writing a scathing letter to the editor.
    I did watch....glad to see SU get that 3rd goal....

I've been to Bramall Lane a few times...first time in 1987 SU playing against Vinnie Jones and Wimbledon when both were in the old First Division...and standing in the terraces...my first English football match and quite something...

Leave a comment:

• Master403
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    Sheffield United
    Got out my microscope, and you're right. Scandalous. I'm embarrassed to say I watched the match, and did not catch this egregious error. I hope CD did not miss it (2-0, 2-3, 3-3) while writing a scathing letter to the editor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X