• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a discourse on "real" strength numbers

"What Is Strong? Real World Strength Standards For Raw, Natural Lifters"

That's the tile of this piece, from MuscleandBrawn:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/strong-streng ... l-lifters/

Re: a discourse on "real" strength numbers

What is strong, how about lifting 588 pounds off the floor with one finger a feat Canadian strongman Louis Cyr accompished. Then there was the great Paul Anderson. Considering when those two lived and the training methods etc etc back then I'd have to go with them being the strongest ever.

Eugene Sandow was probably the strongest man up to his point in time. Hmmmm....Samson?

Comment

Originally posted by Dixon View Post
      What is strong, how about lifting 588 pounds off the floor with one finger a feat Canadian strongman Louis Cyr accompished. Then there was the great Paul Anderson. Considering when those two lived and the training methods etc etc back then I'd have to go with them being the strongest ever.

Eugene Sandow was probably the strongest man up to his point in time. Hmmmm....Samson?
      Just watched a two part youtube video on Paul Anderson, no doubt in my mind he would have been a fantastic shot putter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULiC03flxKo

Yes, I have finally come to the conclusion that he was the strongest man in recorded history.
      Last edited by user4; 11-03-2015, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
        "What Is Strong? Real World Strength Standards For Raw, Natural Lifters"

That's the tile of this piece, from MuscleandBrawn:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/strong-streng ... l-lifters/
        There's a book I have from the early 1970s called "The Super Athletes" by David Willoughby that has lot of data on who the real strongmen have been thru the ages. Very interesting book but not up to date, of course.

Comment

Check out this bad mofo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkX3K_o6YhA

Comment

Looking at neighboring videos, a Texas HS senior benched 700 pounds..is that even possible.. who could spot for him?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
              Looking at neighboring videos, a Texas HS senior benched 700 pounds..is that even possible.. who could spot for him?
              I'd like to see that video. Do you have a link? One thing that should be pointed out is that many of these bench press records were set with "bench press vests". I've never seen one but I hear that the difference is significant. You'll notice that the guy whose videos I posted only had on a tee shirt.

Comment

I don't know how to post a link but it comes up on the you tube menu to the right of the video of the link posted above.
                Big kid, appears to be wearing just a T-sirt..

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsd5Dasiibs

Definitely shirt-aided

Comment

From wikipedia:

As the same lifter's performance may vary significantly depending on the presence and design of a bench shirt (for example, Scot Mendelson, whose shirted bench press record is 1030 lbs, while his unshirted best is 715 lbs), records across different federations or categories may not be directly comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                      One thing that should be pointed out is that many of these bench press records were set with "bench press vests". I've never seen one but I hear that the difference is significant. You'll notice that the guy whose videos I posted only had on a tee shirt.
                      Powerlifting is my favorite participation sport. There's what's called "RAW," which means lifting without shirts/suits that aid you in the lift. And yes, some lifters can get 200 or 300+ pounds from their shirts and even more from their squat suits. The "Equipped" lifters train differently than "RAW" lifters. Bench press shirts really help a lifter off their chest, so they will train the top portion of the movement. There will be heavy emphasis on triceps since they are more involved with the finishing of a BP than the start. Anyhow, there's a whole science, a whole world and sub-culture, to "Equipped" lifting. I prefer "RAW", as I want to know what I can do with just my body (and a belt).
                      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                        I prefer "RAW", as I want to know what I can do with just my body (and a belt).
                        I'm with you on this. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know about these bench shirts until a few years ago. A couple of years ago, after an extended period of consistent weight training, I did 315 for as many reps as I could just to see what I could still do at my age, but I wouldn't have gotten the same sense of satisfaction if I had used one of these bench shirts.

Out of curiosity, how much can you lift in the standard lifts now, and how much could you do at your peak?

Comment

Jazzy,
                          315 for reps is impressive at any age! How many reps?

My 181 pound meet PRs (Raw) are Squat - 391 Bench Press - 276 and Deadlift - 480.

I had right ACL reconstruction this June, and I just got back to squatting and DLing a few weeks ago. My squat right now?! 140 for 8 reps. DL 300 x 3. The journey of 1000 miles starts with the first step! But, I'm excited to get back into the swing of things. I plan on competing again in mid-Summer or Fall of next year. I never realized had far a leg could atrophy is just a couple months post-surgery.
                          Last edited by scottmitchell74; 11-03-2015, 10:33 PM.
                          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                            Jazzy,
                            315 for reps is impressive at any age! How many reps?
                            10, but that was after more than two years of never missing a planned workout, except for a couple of times that I had to back off for a week or two due shoulder problems. It was definitely a lot harder to reach this goal than it would have been 20 years earlier.
                            Last edited by jazzcyclist; 11-03-2015, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                              Definitely, and many of the commenters aren't impressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X