Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Pardon" of Alan Turing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25495315

Is it just me, or do others find it ludicrous too, that the Queen has "forgiven" Alan Turing for being homosexual? I mean, the state pardons criminals for their crimes. But in cases like this, pardoning just doesn't seem like the appropriate act to me. The state begging for pardon from him seems more correct. Although, given that he's been dead for 59 years, it's not likely that he'd grant it.

Re: The "Pardon" on Alan Turing

Speaking of people to whom apologies are owed, Obama (who has a horrid record in this department) finally grants clemency to Clarence Aaron. This one is unreal. A college kid with no who brokered a $1500 drug deal and got life without parole…. in 1992!

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/saunders/ ... 080251.php

Comment

epitome of what the legal system does to contribute to not only misjustice but the extremely costly and assuring the perpetuation of criminal activity. One transparency to the overcrowding in prisons. Life? couldn't get any more preposterous. purge the prisons of this kind of actions along with the police efforts to enforce drug offences and you can save significant amount of money. okay - enough

Comment

From wiki:

[Turing] acknowledged a sexual relationship with Murray. Homosexual acts were criminal offences in the United Kingdom at that time,[95] and both men were charged with gross indecency . . . Turing was convicted and given a choice between imprisonment and probation, which would be conditional on his agreement to undergo hormonal treatment designed to reduce libido. He accepted the option of treatment via injections of stilboestrol, a synthetic oestrogen; this treatment was continued for the course of one year. The treatment rendered Turing impotent and caused gynaecomastia.
        On 8 June 1954, Turing's cleaner found him dead. He had died the previous day. A post-mortem examination established that the cause of death was cyanide poisoning.
        Chemical castration, followed by suicide. Horrific.

Comment

There is a great bio on Turing called Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges which not only chronicles his technical work but also his personal side and his ultimate demise. Hodges work documents Turing from the unique perspective of also being a mathematician as well as a gay man and athlete.

Considered by many to be the "father of computer science", Turing is honored by the Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) which annually bestows The Turing Award to the individual(s) who have contributed the most to the computational sciences.

There is a strong link between Turing and running, as many of you may know. He loved competing in cross country at the club level and there is a famous photo of him which you might have seen at http://go-feet.blogspot.com/2013/08/...turing_30.html. In fact, this photo once graced the cover of ACM's Communications of the ACM magazine.

Unfortunately, we continue to live in a highly-polarized world and given recent media events, one wonders how much progress has actually been made concerning these issues.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Speaking of people to whom apologies are owed, Obama (who has a horrid record in this department) finally grants clemency to Clarence Aaron. This one is unreal. A college kid with no who brokered a $1500 drug deal and got life without parole…. in 1992!

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/saunders/ ... 080251.php
            The drug enforcement industrial complex operating like a well tuned Turing machine to solve various financial needs of a well connected State.

Comment

Re: The "Pardon" of Alan Turing

I first learned of Turing when the BBC did a great made-for-TV movie in '96 called Breaking The Code w/ the estimable Derek Jacobi in the title role.

Comment

In my first year at U. Toronto as an undergraduate, I took a computer science course in which the programming language was called Turing (co-designed 'in house' by Richard Holt, who also taught the course I took). At the time, I had no idea who Turing was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_(pr ... g_language)

Comment

I am a bit surprised that the very worldly and informed gh had not heard of Turning before 1992. I cannot remember when I first heard of him but one to two decades earlier is probably a good guess. I think that this reflects the very many different areas that one sees things in (areas of knowledge).

Comment

I never had heard of him until I enrolled in a Computer Science degree program, initially studying the Turing Machine but also from the Association of Computer Machinery (ACM) organization, where Turing has God-like status.

I just learned that there is a docu-drama on Turing called Codebreaker. See http://www.turingfilm.com/ Being a fan of World War II history, I'm hoping that the film includes much detail regarding the war efforts at Bletchley Park, not only Turing's efforts but others as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X