• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dixon
    replied
    Re: I like to share.....

Originally posted by houstonian
    yep. Texan by birth. Been gone a long time. I love the open society that is Texas.
    While Mississippi gets a lot of play as the birthplace of them old country blues, it was Texan Blind Lemon Jefferson who first "starred" in that sound. And there were a ton of others like Texas Alexander, Ramblin' Thomas, Funny Papa Smith, Bessie Tucker, the great Blind Willie Johnson (actually gospel with a wicked slide guitar) who rivalled anything coming out of Mississippi way back then.

If I/somenody put together an anthology of American music no state could rival Texas. From Blind Lemon and Blind Willie up to Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys right on up to ZZ Top and Stevie Ray Vaughn, we can stick Lead Belly in there since he grew up in Texas (born in Louisiana), Kris Kristofferson, Janis Joplin, Lightnin' Hopkins, Victoria Spivey all Texans. When the legendary Robert Johnson first recorded in 1936 it was done in San Antonio.

Leave a comment:

• houstonian
    replied

yep. Texan by birth. Been gone a long time. I love the open society that is Texas.

Leave a comment:

• Dixon
    replied

Originally posted by houstonian
    great, eclectic references.
    keep 'em coming.
    Ok I will

Gov't Mule
    Mark Lemhouse
    Marc Broussard
    Ben Harper
    Hans Thessnik
    Joey Porter
    Doug Macleoud
    John Hammond
    Marc Cohn
    Eddie Martin
    Sonny Landreath
    Walter Trout
    Sheilia Wilcoxson

You're from Texas?

Leave a comment:

• houstonian
    replied

great, eclectic references.
    keep 'em coming.

Leave a comment:

• Dixon
    started a topic I like to share.....

I like to share.....

...and have also benefitted from others sharing with me. I was turned on to Calvin Russell, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Ray Lamontagne, Dalton LeBlance and Damien Rice by fellow internet posters. All of them a must listen.

Here are some artists I highly recommend to add to your listening pleasure that you might not be aware of. just like I wasn't with those I mentioned. All can be found on youtube or were.

Johnny "Slim" Campbell (John Campbell on youtube)
    Harry Manx
    Amos Lee
    Kolvane
    Michael Younger
    Shawn Mullins
    Fiona Boyes
    Kelly Joe Phelps
    Slaid Cleaves
    David Brosa

While talking music...

A few of my prized CD's would be the first David Allan Coe ...just out of prison...CD, "Pentieniary Blues", in a word..outstanding! Another would be the lost Townes Van Zandt songs, yes his first recordings that had been lost, well they were found. The CD....In The Beginning. Yep;..outstanding! Those 1941 Plantation Recordings of Muddy Waters a must listen, he was recorded right there on his front porch at the Stovall Plantation where he worked as a field hand. Of course he'd move on to Chicago and we know the rest his history....or should.

Last but not least, those first Sun Recordings by Elvis, a CD I found at a yardsale, cost a buck Elvis really was amazing, totally unique.
Working...
X